Poll-77 New Yorker Exhaust Decision

Run the exhaust out the side or run it out the rear (not visible)?

• Out the Side

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Out the Rear (Hidden Behind Bumper)

Votes: 37 97.4%

• Total voters

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Evening,
We finally received the headers in the mail, and are now pretty much ready to have the exhaust put in. However, I have to make a pretty critical decision, and I am stuck between two options. I could either run the exhaust out the side (1 pipe per side), like the image below displays, or I could run the exhaust out the back with the end of the pipes being hidden and not visible under the bumper (kind of what the stock single pipe looked like). For context, I purchased an exhaust tip at Advance and fitted it up to see what it would look like. Both choices would use true dual pipes with no mufflers and one spun catalytic converter per pipe. Let me know what you all think in the poll.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

20210404_182832.jpg

20210404_182851.jpg

IMO, on a car of that type, don't do anything to detract from its character/dignity. To me, even visible chrome tips at the rear bumper look out-of-place on this type of car. It is not a hotrod and never will be (that's not what this car was born to be).

I would also suggest not to make it too loud, but that seems to be the direction you are headed with no mufflers?
What is the purpose of having only cats, and where are they going to be located? What will your pipe diameters be front-rear?

But ultimately, it's your car, and you should do what makes you happy.

You said you received headers in the mail? I'm wondering what car are the headers for because no one makes headers for a Formal.

I just kept stock exhaust manifolds, Flowmaster 40's and duals out the rear on my 78 NYB.

20181013_095944.jpg

Out the rear, I would also suggest that you should run some mufflers and then maybe Electric exhaust cutouts after the Catalytic Converters.

The catalytic converters act as a muffler, too. Which is what the CHP did with their '79-era St. Regis cars to get more performance without altering the car from OEM emission specs.

Key to the rear exit for the dual exhaust is to have the exit location such that "crud" does not dim the shine of the chrome on the rear bumper! Trying to hide them too much can result in exhaust gasses getting into places they shouldn't . . . like the trunk.

FWIW, when I see side-exit exhaust rather than the factory rear exits (except on AAR and T/A E-bodies, where they were like that from the factory), it sends messages as to whether or not the vehicle's owner really understands the car AND has the funds to do it right. Sorry if that might offend, just my observations over the years. Your car, your money, your dreams.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Last edited:
That's gonna be tough, driving and having someone hold your tips as you drive! Painful, I can imagine. And a wee awkward. Especially when backing! LOL!

In my opinion, if you are going to put the exhaust out the side do it behind the wheel and tire on the quarters near the rear bumper

Good Evening,
We finally received the headers in the mail, and are now pretty much ready to have the exhaust put in. However, I have to make a pretty critical decision, and I am stuck between two options. I could either run the exhaust out the side (1 pipe per side), like the image below displays, or I could run the exhaust out the back with the end of the pipes being hidden and not visible under the bumper (kind of what the stock single pipe looked like). For context, I purchased an exhaust tip at Advance and fitted it up to see what it would look like. Both choices would use true dual pipes with no mufflers and one spun catalytic converter per pipe. Let me know what you all think in the poll.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

View attachment 452079

View attachment 452080
First, and I know you don't want my opinion, headers and whatnot are a major detraction from what is otherwise an very nice Luxo-Barge...

Second, from a safety standpoint, the exhaust MUST exit behind any movable glass. You just don't have enough space in front of the tire, and out the side behind the wheel is silly... the whole point of out the side for a sedan is to cheap out on the bump over the axle. Wagons go out the side due to the movable back glass.

IMO, on a car of that type, don't do anything to detract from its character/dignity. To me, even visible chrome tips at the rear bumper look out-of-place on this type of car. It is not a hotrod and never will be (that's not what this car was born to be).

I would also suggest not to make it too loud, but that seems to be the direction you are headed with no mufflers?
What is the purpose of having only cats, and where are they going to be located? What will your pipe diameters be front-rear?

But ultimately, it's your car, and you should do what makes you happy.
I agree about the chrome tips under the rear bumper, which I see quite a lot and am not a huge fan of. I am not planning on having it be crazy loud, but it currently only has a cat on it right now since the rest of the exhaust rusted off, so I wanted to keep the sound it has now. The cats will likely be located in the middle of the car to give some space after the headers. The pipes will start at 3 inches since that is the size of the header collector and will be reduced to 2.25 inches and have that size for the majority of the pipe.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Alright, thank you to everyone for your input, I think I will likely run it out the back, but not visible under the bumper, as you all brought up some good points. Once the exhaust is put in, I will let you all see (and hear) the results. I also plan on getting the car dynoed soon so I can have a baseline number before any performance, so I am excited to let you know the results. This will be before the headers are put in.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Out the rear, I would also suggest that you should run some mufflers and then maybe Electric exhaust cutouts after the Catalytic Converters.
I haven't put much thought into electric exhaust cutouts, but that could be really cool. I'll have to discuss that with my exhaust guy and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the suggestion!
77newyorker440

You said you received headers in the mail? I'm wondering what car are the headers for because no one makes headers for a Formal.

I just kept stock exhaust manifolds, Flowmaster 40's and duals out the rear on my 78 NYB.

View attachment 452087
Well, that is what I thought as well. About a week ago, my dad and I decided to take the risk and order these headers, as they fit on a 78 NYB on this site. Here is the link to that NYB: 78 New Yorker Brougham 440 Survivor. The owner of that Formal stated that he owned these headers: Hooker 5113-1HKR Hooker Super Competition Long Tube Headers - Ceramic Coated. So, I went ahead and order those headers.
Here is the interesting part though. As you can see on the site, these headers fit 68-74 C-Bodies, but not anything past 74. I called Holley and asked why, and the service aide stated that the only reason that they would not fit a Formal post-1974 is because of emissions regulations, not because of fitment issues. So I decided to order them and see what happens, and return them if needed. When I received them though, they also came with an instructions list. And as you can see below, the instructions state that they fit formals up to 1977. Of course, it does not include Chrysler, as Chryslers usually are not the market for performance products, but it does state that it fits C-Bodies up to 1977. So, I don't know how this occurred, as the website clearly stops at 1974, but I am very happy about this, as it means that it likely fits my car. Since your NYB is a 78, I know that these would fit as the link above shows these headers already on a 78.
Hope this helps!
77newyorker440

20210401_170510.jpg

Well, that is what I thought as well. About a week ago, my dad and I decided to take the risk and order these headers, as they fit on a 78 NYB on this site. Here is the link to that NYB: 78 New Yorker Brougham 440 Survivor. The owner of that Formal stated that he owned these headers: Hooker 5113-1HKR Hooker Super Competition Long Tube Headers - Ceramic Coated. So, I went ahead and order those headers.
Here is the interesting part though. As you can see on the site, these headers fit 68-74 C-Bodies, but not anything past 74. I called Holley and asked why, and the service aide stated that the only reason that they would not fit a Formal post-1974 is because of emissions regulations, not because of fitment issues. So I decided to order them and see what happens, and return them if needed. When I received them though, they also came with an instructions list. And as you can see below, the instructions state that they fit formals up to 1977. Of course, it does not include Chrysler, as Chryslers usually are not the market for performance products, but it does state that it fits C-Bodies up to 1977. So, I don't know how this occurred, as the website clearly stops at 1974, but I am very happy about this, as it means that it likely fits my car. Since your NYB is a 78, I know that these would fit as the link above shows these headers already on a 78.
Hope this helps!
77newyorker440

View attachment 452304

Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Someone has to make them, right?
37 years ago Hooker was the only company that made them for a 1971 C body that I could find, they fit nice too.
Let me however ask, why Headers? If you are reducing down to 2 1/4" most of the way aren't you losing the flow factor benefit?

In one respect, it's not the flow factor as such, but the flow through each of the tubes leading to the collector. Plus if the tubes' exit placement in the collector's length might enhance scavenging of other cylinder's flow. Each cyl will get a cleaner charge, that way, with less reversion (think "internal egr"), for better power and throttle response. BUT with the more individualized runners in the Chrysler HP manifolds compared to the normal "log" manifolds, the HP manifolds might be the best way to do things, all things considered. No worries about "installation war stories", flange gasket leaks, or long-term durability.

Only thing possibly missing from the HP manifolds might be the tuning effect of the size and length of the header tubes and the collectors configuration? Which might lead to a discussion of camshaft exhaust duration vs. exhaust manifold choice!

I know there is an aura about how headers can relate to "higher power", but a sub-optimal header design can detract from total performance as much as a poor choice in carburetor size, camshaft "size", intake manifold, etc. As in life, everything must work together for best results. Might be better than it was to start with, but not nearly as good as it might/could be.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I haven't put much thought into electric exhaust cutouts, but that could be really cool. I'll have to discuss that with my exhaust guy and see what he thinks.
Thanks for the suggestion!
77newyorker440
Hope you don't live in Delaware or any other state that has laws like this.

Delaware Code Online
The Delaware Code Online
TITLE 21 > CHAPTER 43
Motor Vehicles
Operation and Equipment
CHAPTER 43. Equipment and Construction of Vehicles
Subchapter I. Equipment Requirements

§ 4311. Mufflers; cutout prohibited.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle, on a highway, including residential streets, unless such motor vehicle or motorcycle is equipped with a muffler in good working order and in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

(b) No person shall use a “muffler cutout” on any motor vehicle upon a highway.

(c) It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling devices or to sell or offer for sale any “gutted muffler,” “muffler cutout” or “straight exhaust.”

Sometimes you gotta take a chance. Someone has to make them, right?
37 years ago Hooker was the only company that made them for a 1971 C body that I could find, they fit nice too.
Let me however ask, why Headers? If you are reducing down to 2 1/4" most of the way aren't you losing the flow factor benefit?

Why put headers on an engine that has 195 hp?

Back