Possible to repair window regulators?

system11

Reaction score
On my 69 Fury the rear quarter window regulator slips - it's very stiff (actually both rears are really bad) but the passenger side slips constantly when you try to wind it up. It's definitely not the splines on the handle itself so I'm assuming it's a problem with that small drive gear that meshes with the regulator arm, or the teeth on the regulator arm itself (or both).

Can these be repaired or is it time to search for a working one?

I had the other side panel off last week to adjust the rail position, not looking forward to this job even one tiny bit.

On my 69 Fury the rear quarter window regulator slips - it's very stiff (actually both rears are really bad) but the passenger side slips constantly when you try to wind it up. It's definitely not the splines on the handle itself so I'm assuming it's a problem with that small drive gear that meshes with the regulator arm, or the teeth on the regulator arm itself (or both).

Can these be repaired or is it time to search for a working one?

I had the other side panel off last week to adjust the rail position, not looking forward to this job even one tiny bit.

Most of the time if the gear teeth are jumping, the regulator is probably junk as some of the teeth are badly worn or broken off. This usually happens because of debris clogging the window channels makes movement of the window very difficult and the regulator is overloaded resulting in breakage. It is probably time to look for a new unit and be sure to clean out the tracks for the window assembly. Also be sure to lube the window mechanism where it is needed.

Dave

Make sure there is no binding from misalignment of the tracks, too.

I'm buying some regulators & related parts from someone on the forum, looks like the only way forward. Not looking forward to this job :)

I'm buying some regulators & related parts from someone on the forum, looks like the only way forward. Not looking forward to this job :)
I've got a bad quarter window regulator, left side, on my 72 Fury. Looks like a long tedious job. Ugh!:realcrazy:

The winder mechanism has a little “braking system” in them. Sometimes it will feel like it is slipping, but is The braking system catching and releasing due to the old gunk and grease in them.
First step is to remove the large winding springs. Be careful as they pack a lot of power. I used a vice and very large water pump pliers (channelocks) and a pry to slowly unwind. I would use the prybar as a stop if the pliers were to slip. After the spring is removed you can drill out the rivets remove the housing, check for bad teeth and clean up the housing/ braking system.
22F72146-ADBA-4FC6-9D4B-FAFACF1E7B24.jpeg
54A7936C-D520-43F1-AC84-FB1A5BEC4BB3.jpeg
615D90BA-F23A-4D4C-956D-09A7858654F6.jpeg

Mine's definitely slipping, the glass stops moving and it makes a quiet 'bang' sound. If I pull the window upwards by hand you can eventually wind the window up.

It's pretty messed up.

Back