Power antenna disection and rebuild.

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I am looking for a power antenna for my '76 NYB.
Big-John was gracious enough to send me a power antenna for a Formal he had laying around.
Thank you, John!

Having nothing to lose seeing as it was not working, I decided to do a Julian and take it apart and see what's going internally to see if I can restore it.

After the pics showing the disassembly, the problem will be obvious.

001.jpg

002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

More next post...

So what happened to the cable ?? This motor looks like it has never been opened.

Any one I ever worked on, the nut at the top lets you replace just the mast... use the motor to drive the old cable out, and draw the new in. My guess is the cable was drawn out and the broken mast replaced, making it a manual mast. Is there a source for replacements... or did this just go back to square one?

Grrrr... I just checked with the largest supplier of replacement power antenna masts. Nobody makes one for these style units. Just the groved belt types. :(

What would Julian do...

Road salt dissolved the cable Big Join is from upstate New York they use lots.
Yes, they do!

I jacked up a SFGT once that was so rusted that the frame by the front leaf spring mount collapsed and the jack came through the floor and popped the rear seat out.

I can't wait until I retire to take **** apart on my own timetable. You got to admit that it is fun to take things apart to see how they work. LOL!

Nice work Stan!

Last edited:
Grrrr... I just checked with the largest supplier of replacement power antenna masts. Nobody makes one for these style units. Just the groved belt types. :(

What would Julian do...
I've seen that type of cable used somewhere else. I can't remember where right now. It will come to me.

I've seen that type of cable used somewhere else. I can't remember where right now. It will come to me.

Me too. It's a thickish white nylon. I know I took something apart and thought "this looks like power antenna cable" . :BangHead:

Back