1. Big_John

Big_John Illegitimi non carborundum FCBO Gold Member

Here's what happened. I put all new brakes, hoses, wheel cylinders etc. on my '65 Barracuda. I also converted to a dual master cylinder and had the booster rebuilt by Booster Dewey.

It's a long story, but I was having a hard time getting a hard pedal after bleeding. I had used my Miti-Vac vacuum pump and then had Mrs. Big John doing the traditional job of working the pedal for a pressure bleed. It still wasn't going right.

One thing lead to another and I bought two things...

These are master cylinder plugs. Unscrew the lines into the master cylinder one at a time and they can easily tell you if the problem is front or rear.

71sHnsFmYlL._SY879_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SX659SY879SH20_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N18QS7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought one of these... A Motive Power brake bleeder.

81s3pPyL2eL._SL1500_.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJ5DY16/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've always wanted something like this and now I don't know why I waited.

The flat plate clamps over both sides of the master cylinder. (other adapters for new cars available) with some J-hooks and chains. I couldn't get it to not leak, so I added a C clamp and it worked perfectly.

77L36LC.jpg
    MVn32Gc.jpg

Basically, this is a garden sprayer... Fill it with brake fluid and pump it up to 15-20psi and start bleeding. This worked fantastic for me... After bleeding everything again, I narrowed my problem down to the front brakes using the plugs and then figured out it was a bleeder in the Chineasium wheel cylinder. A little extra torque with a socket has it working for now. I'll find some USA built cylinders at Carlisle or eBay and rebuild them.

The only downside is you are supposed to use 2 quarts of brake fluid... I had most of a quart and didn't feel like driving to the store. It worked, but it did push a lot of brake fluid through, so next time I'll fill it up.

So... Great piece, well built, good price. Should have bought one of these years ago!

I found a short video of it in use.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 3
  2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

I have the same types of issues with the ChiCom crap. You probably have a bleeder screw that has a burr on it. I twisted one off trying to get it to seat.

Dave

3. cantflip

cantflip Old Jagoff with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

My one issue with bug sprayer pressure bleeders is that nothing separates the air from the fluid like in an old diaphragm "beer keg" power bleeder. Not a big deal if you are using DOT 5 or tossing the leftover fluid, but you will saturate other fluids within an hour. Too handy an item not to love it, just don't get stingy with the fluid.

Add in a lift, and a brake flush takes 5 minutes... :thumbsup:

Use of plugs to isolate portions of a brake system is great, true proof for a failed master cylinder. Some ABS HCU's came with metal plugs, I swiped them when I could get away with it... they worked great for isolating a bypassing HCU from a bypassing MC.

Usually you can get something from a hardware or parts store selection if you're in a hurry. Brass is fine for testing purposes, but you got a nice price from amazon. :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. 5wndwcpe

5wndwcpe Active Member

The idea is solid, but the chains and J hooks are just chintzy. I have the same bleeder and made the same mod with a C clamp and it does work well.

Also, I too had problems with the replacement bleeders and went to back to the originals after cleaning them up a bit. A little Teflon thread sealing compound helps as well.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1