Power brake booster

swisherred

Reaction score
Finally replaced the rear brake line I broke when rebuilding the rear end in my 67 newport..and promptly blew a seal in my booster. Anyone know which booster I need to look for or where to find one? Sadly I just sold my extra one. Power drum. I have tried looking it up but i dont know which one I have and cant figure out the part number for it to compare.

Last edited:
Finally replaced the rear brake line I broke when rebuilding the rear end in my 67 newport..and promptly blew a seal in my booster. Anyone know which booster I need to look for or where to find one? Sadly I just sold my extra one. Power drum. I have tried looking it up but i dont know which one I have and cant figure out the part number for it to compare.

I would just send it to:www.boosterdeweyexchange.com and have it rebuilt. Even if you find a rebuilt on thru a secondary supplier, it will likely be a cardone unit which are a POS.

Dave

Last edited:
This is it.

20200125_155227.jpg

20200125_155242.jpg

I would just send it to www.boosterdeweryexchange.com and have it rebuilt. Even if you find a rebuilt on thru a secondary supplier, it will likely be a cardone unit which are a POS.

Dave
The link seems to no longer be valid...I think its now power brake booster exchange...Can I not order a rebuild kit for it and do it myself? Bendix unit?

BTW...I found the original ad for the car and it says the booster was replaced....so Im assuming it is a reman unit and not original to the car. I cant seem to figure out exactly which one it was....probably cardone, but it doesnt match any I can find at the parts stores.

The link seems to no longer be valid...I think its now power brake booster exchange...Can I not order a rebuild kit for it and do it myself? Bendix unit?

There are several on line vendors that that sell the kit, but it will cost as much as a rebuilt. That looks to be a Bendix single diaphragm unit. That is the correct link, something must be wrong someplace. Phone is 503-238-8882. Bendix boosters of this type are not considered user rebuildable. You '67 Newport probably came with a single clamp midland booster from the factory. The single diaphragm Bendix units were used on later Newports. Either would work.

Dave

I've got one sitting in the barn out of a 68 I had . $100 + shipping . I have someone coming Monday that may take everything I have , so let me know if you want it .
Jerry .

I've got one sitting in the barn out of a 68 I had . $100 + shipping . I have someone coming Monday that may take everything I have , so let me know if you want it .
Jerry .
I wont be able to afford one for awhile yet...I appreciate it though. Going to save up and replace the booster, master and the rest of the brake lines all at once.

If you are going to replace everything, this is a good time to think about Disc Brakes.
I'm not in any position to convert to disc at this time. I will be looking at that in the future but not at this time. The cost is just too high right now.
Everything else is new...hell...the booster amd master were supposed to be new when I bought it, but after some research I believe the master is actually for manual brakes and is most likely leaking into the booster...causing the failure.

The Midland-Ross booster was used on '66 and '67 power drum brake C-bodies. Possibly '65 and '68, too?

The master cyl leaking into the booster seems to be common, at least on the '66 and '67 I have. Doesn't usually cause any booster issues, though, just a sinking brake pedal.

Download a FSM at www.mymopar.com, for specs and ID on the brake system items.

CBODY67

The Midland-Ross booster was used on '66 and '67 power drum brake C-bodies. Possibly '65 and '68, too?

This particular midland booster fit '67-'68, there is a slightly different unit that fit '65-'66. If memory servers me correctly the older units had a slightly different mount pattern.

Dave

The master cyl leaking into the booster seems to be common, at least on the '66 and '67 I have. Doesn't usually cause any booster issues, though, just a sinking brake pedal.

Download a FSM at www.mymopar.com, for specs and ID on the brake system items.

CBODY67
I have both digital and paper versions of the fsm...deciphering the various party numbers have me a headache trying to figure them out. Especially since mine had already been replaced and I don't know what actually came with it stock. I think I'm on the right track though..my booster had been hissing recently and then today it made a loud noise and something went very wrong inside...almost no brakes and something mechanically wrong in the pedal travel. Hard to describe it though.

I'm not in any position to convert to disc at this time. I will be looking at that in the future but not at this time. The cost is just too high right now.
Everything else is new...hell...the booster amd master were supposed to be new when I bought it, but after some research I believe the master is actually for manual brakes and is most likely leaking into the booster...causing the failure.
I understand that, BUT the booster, master cylinder, and brake hoses ARE different on a disc brake car. Why replace something now only to have to change it again in the future.

The Napa link that you posted is correct for a 68 with drums all around. Advanced Auto lists them, but you cannot order it. I tried the other day.
I'm getting ready to send my spare to Booster Dewey.

I just bought a kit recently from them and did it myself. Was going to be too costly sending back and forth from OZ. Quite easy to do.

I recall some prior discussions about using the existing booster with a front disc brake upgrade. But IF there might be a dual-diaphragm factory M-R booster that can be purchased "reman", then that might be a reasonably inexpensive upgrade to do from the cost of the normal M-R booster? As long as it's for a C-body, might be a direct bolt-in?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Just chiming in on this one .. your best path is to send the unit you have out to PBBE. I just got mine back from them. They do an outstanding job. I say this because I went the path you tried and wasted nearly a month trying to find a replacement, only to find that they simply don't exist anymore. I tried just about all the online vendors, Advanced Auto, Rockauto, Mopar Mall .. etc...etc. And finally ordered the same unit from NAPA that you are probably going to order...only because there was only 1 left on their system. When I got it, it was the wrong booster for my year car (65 Ply SF). It looks exactly the same as the one in your pic.

So if NAPA still has it, and it's the right one for your year car, order it. It's the LAST one. Cardone quality sucks, and that's talking personal experience. They don't reman these units anymore.

Your other option is to find one at a swap meet that is year specific to your car if that is what you are after. Then have it rebuilt (or do it yourself. To me, was easier to send it out and really the same price.)

I hope that helps a little. Bottom line is that you can't just order a new/reman unit online anymore...and expect it will be the year correct unit. They'll send you an equivalent that is interchangable...IF there is one out there.

JR

The pics are of the booster NAPA sent me...and my unit still on the car right before I sent it out to PBBE. As you can see... It's a totally different unit and that was using the correct part number for my year/model

IMG_20191125_195714183.jpg

IMG_20191125_175438057.jpg

Last edited:
Back