Power seat and 4 channel amp

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Decide to actually do some projects I have had planned for Goldie, for over 2 years. First is to install a 6 way power seat I bought from @MOVE N UP. He told me it worked, but today was the first time I actually ran some juice to it. It worked perfectly, now I just need to get it cleaned up.

I am trying am also trying to locate the plastic cover for the base and the aluminum shield for seat. Murray thought he might have both.

20190302_162230.jpg

I also decided to install a 4 channel amp for the speakers I have in the factory locations. I converted my original radio, but with the top down, the head unit amplifier is maxed out. It is a small amplifier, a little smaller than a cigar box, which I will have hidden under the passenger seat.

I ran all my wires today through the center console and under the carpet. Now I just need to hook it all up, which is the fun part. We are supposed to get snow tomorrow, hopefully it won't keep me from my shop.

I talked to Murray about the plastic he said there are 4 pieces needed, so I am going to let him see what he has. He felt pretty confident that he had everything I need.

I decided to hook up the amp today. I am very happy with the results, it was exactly what I was wanting. I did the rough in and now I need to clean everything up shorten wires and get everthing thing hidden.

20190303_165218.jpg

I have their powered sub in my dd, it's a good sub woofer

That is why I bought the 4 channel amp, I have the powered sub in my MGB and was very happy with it. Plus you can't beat the price.

I got in my shop for only a couple of hours this past weekend, finally have a free weekend coming up.

Any recommendations on the grease for the worm gear in my power seat? It looks like they didn't go crazy with the stuff, but it is pretty dried out now.

20190312_152919.jpg

Worked a little bit today on the power seat. I am going to work on one side at a time, even though I took lots of pictures, don't want it to get more confusing than it is.

Cleaning all the gears and will use white lithium grease, per Stan's recomendation. Stripping all the pieces painted black and repainting, cleaning up the aluminum.

20190317_170356.jpg

20190317_170401.jpg

I got in my shop a few hours to work today on my power seat. I am glad I came in today, because my cousin was there and came through for me.

Today I removed the motor and transmission from the seat frame
20190322_092104.jpg

When I opened up the seat transmission I discovered one of the retaining posts had broken.

20190322_104248.jpg
20190322_105620.jpg

My cousin was at the farm today and welded the piece back together. This is not a precision piece, but he lined it up perfect and the weld does not interfere with its operation. I was able to clean everything up and put it back together.
20190322_172037.jpg
20190322_162127.jpg

20190322_162127.jpg

Last edited:
One side completed and reassemble. I don't care how many pictures I take I never seem to take enough, glad I've learned not to tear down both sides at the same time. Definitely went back and referenced the other side a few times.

20190323_172652.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone decides to do this, there is no internal break down, at least in my 66 SM. It is all very logical, but there are many small parts including small ball bearings.

I can't recommend enough the importance of manually checking the movement of the gears forward and in reverse. I would place a small screw driver and spin it, to make sure I had smooth and effortless movement.

If you discover you have problems later, it won't be nearly as easy to double check your work.

I completed the power seat restoration. Very happy with the results, everything moves smoothly, and my repair worked out great.

I also think it is cool how Chrysler incorporated a 6 way power seat in a single joystick. Moving the stick forward and back moves the seat in those directions, up and down moves the rear of the seat. Twisting the joystick moves the front of the seat up and down.

20190330_144644.jpg
20190330_165104.jpg

@Ross Wooldridge can you take a picture of the Aluminum panel where the power seat joy stick comes out? I am still looking for that piece. I thought @MOVE N UP came through for me big time, but we found out his is for a 67 Imperial. Thanks

Mine are all at the shop - I'll try and get over there. Essentially it's identical to the manual version, but instead of a slot for the back and forth lever it's got a round cut out for the joy stick.

Back