Power Steering Box HELP

Mr357M

Reaction score
Hey folks, Ive just had a front end suspension rebuilt on my 1973 Imperial and I can feel suspension is tied as it should, however there's a free play on the steering wheel. I'm looking to have a good quality Steering Box for my car, but it seems no one has a positive opinion regarding the brands available. All I want is to replace the Steering Box for another one that works and feels exactly like the car was back in 1973. Has anyone successfully changed the steering box? Thanks.

Hey folks, Ive just had a front end suspension rebuilt on my 1973 Imperial and I can feel suspension is tied as it should, however there's a free play on the steering wheel. I'm looking to have a good quality Steering Box for my car, but it seems no one has a positive opinion regarding the brands available. All I want is to replace the Steering Box for another one that works and feels exactly like the car was back in 1973. Has anyone successfully changed the steering box? Thanks.
I used Firm Feel to rebuild my steering box. FIRM FEEL, INC. - MOPAR STEERING & SUSPENSION

I went with a Stage 2 firmness, but for the original "feel", I see they now have a Stage O which is supposed to be stock, or slightly firmer is a Stage 1 which should be firmer like the boxes they put in cop cars.

Regarding the aftermarket boxes, I've seen a lot of fitment problems pop up. They seem to be OK, but geez... the stock box can just be removed and replaced with no anguish.

That said, I would look at the rag joint in the steering column first. Chances are good you'll want/need to replace it when you pull the box anyway, but that could be causing your problem. Rock Auto sells the Lares 220 and it's a direct replacement. More Information for LARES 220

I'd also rebuild the steering coupler. Steering Coupler Rebuild "How To" when it's apart, but it also could be contributing to your steering looseness.

Anyway... I'd look at those two things first before swapping the box. It might save some time and money... and you'll want to do them anyway if you do change the box.

what Big John said, firm feel, steering coupler, and rag joint replacement. Nice thing about firm feel you can pick what steering tightness you want, you just have to wait a bit because they build to suit.

Back