Power steering devils...

Micro

Reaction score
Finally got the car running today and went to put steering fluid in the reservoir and my steering spun all the way left as soon as the car started. ??? Im at a loss. Cut the belt then I could steer. HELP....Please

I usually don't say "do a search", but in this case, there's a couple of threads from the last few months that have addressed this.

It's basically an adjustment of the valve as said in the above post. I've never done one so I can't give a lot of advice other than it involves getting it in the correct position and it does take some finesse to get it right.

Easy adjustment following the service manual. (Most available on mymopar.com)
It only takes about an 1/8 inch of movement on the steering valve up or down to dramatically change the direction.
Do this first before even considering a new box. Mine did the same after a re-build. It went to the right by itself and hit hard enough to kill the engine. I thought I broke something.
Small movements of the valve is all it takes.

The link below should take you to post 10 which describes the procedure.

replacement steering box

I've said it before, and I'll say it again!

13226884_1201753099837705_8000965357365451449_n.jpg

See my original post in the Brakes, Suspension section titled "REPLACEMENT STEERING BOX" i got reply's TRACE 300 HURST AND HWYCRZ with detailed pictures on adjusting the valve on the steering box. Mine would go to full lock on the left made the adjustment as pictured and it fixed the problem. Now when i start the car the wheel moves about 1/4-1/2 if that to the left and the steering when driving the car is a lot tighter.
This forum has some really knowledgeable people best place to look for answers to fix problems with C-BODIES.

Found out the issue. New one installed. Thank you Crazyboutwagons all the info was awesome.
20200723_115451.jpg

Back