Power Steering Issue,,

Catfish-65

Reaction score
Hooked up the power steering pump on my recent engine install 383. pump is on engine, after installing I filled with new fluid to bottom of neck (cold) I have the engine running now up off the ground and when running, the pump make the wheels travel to the left side on its ownI can return to center with the steering wheel but when released it does it again,, Could there be air in the system or some other cause I am in the dark.. Any input greatly appreciated.. Catfish-65 (Dave)

The centering valve on the steering box is out of adjustment. Get your hands on a service manual and follow the procedure.

The valve body on top of the steering box needs adjusted. Loosen bolts on valve body (where hoses connect) on the top of the steering box then snug them up so they will not leak all over, but can still be moved with the tap of a hammer. Start car with wheels in the air as you have it and tap valve body back and forth till no self steering then tighten bolts all the way.

I believe that you need to ensure there is no air in the system. Seems that the cold fluid level should be about mid-high in the filler neck when the fluid is at operating temperature. Is it there? Or did the system "suck it up" from the original level? Just curious.

Getting the valve body repositioned can take a bit of time to do, but when done, it's done. Just make sure the fluid is at the proper level before doing that adjustment, for general princioples.

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

I did change the valve body and put 3 new "O" rings in at that time if they moved would that affect it, that way,, DH
It does not take much misalignment. I have bumped it with the motor mount putting a engine in, and had it start self steer.

Thanks for all the input,, "Christine" has left the building,,I have not done too much precision work with a hammer but it worked like a charm never would have guessed it,, steering works as it should and now I,m a happy old man,,Thanks very much Dave

I wished I would have had this steering box knowledge years ago with my 72 duster as it also self steered after I installed a used power steering from manual .... you guys at C Bodies are so well informed and Boss.... thanks for all that you do here

Sometimes I,m impressed with what I know, but then I,m yanked back to reality with the incredible amount I don,t know,, I figure everything I do now or I ever will do is because of all the people that went before me and passed the knowledge on for me to benefit from..I,ll make a point of trying to do the same if possible,,, Thanks again FCOB members

Back