Power steering pressure hose gone bad

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Howdy gents,

The whole turn signal project has turned out OK. BUT, now my PS pressure hose is leaking.

When I replaced it about 18 months ago, I forget, but I imagine I found it at NAPA or maybe AutoZone or even Advance. I was surprised at how long it was, it didn't seem necessary to be that long. And, there was a metal joint in the middle of the hose....I kept thinking, why the joint in the middle of the hose?

Does anyone have a part number for a replacement pressure hose? Thanks as always for your help.

Rich in Tampa

I too wondered why the hose was so long and had the coupler in the middle. Still don't have an answer on the length but I was told the coupler in the middle was a pressure reducer of some sort. It seems if it needed a pressure reducer, it could have been made to happen at one end or the other. That said, I guess I don't have any answer for you.

Howdy gents,
BUT, now my PS pressure hose is leaking.
When I replaced it about 18 months ago, I forget, but I imagine I found it at NAPA or maybe AutoZone or even Advance.

You had a new hose that took a dump after 18 months? That's totally unacceptable! What does the auto store have to say about that? They need to answer for it, and I would demand it! JMHO

You had a new hose that took a dump after 18 months? That's totally unacceptable! What does the auto store have to say about that? They need to answer for it, and I would demand it! JMHO
Most stores will only cover so many months, 3, 6, or 12, depending on their policy. Some parts manufacturers go out as far as 24 months. A good parts store will stand behind the part, but I suspect 18 months is a bit too far out for them to take any action. Unless you have a large account, I wouldn't expect much.

Most stores will only cover so many months, 3, 6, or 12, depending on their policy. Some parts manufacturers go out as far as 24 months. A good parts store will stand behind the part, but I suspect 18 months is a bit too far out for them to take any action. Unless you have a large account, I wouldn't expect much.
And how many folks will have the receipt after 3 days?

I bet you'd have better luck & quality having a hydro shop making you one! Got one local? Good Luck

I had to bend the hose out of the way as I was installing the shift linkage on to the column. Next thing I know, with the car running, there's a dripping puddle of PS fluid. I open the hood, and see that it has squirted up on to the brake booster and master cylinder. Fluid is all over the hose, so I assume that the center joint in the hose has failed from the stress of being pushed out of the way. So, I put it back in it's original position, and now it isn't leaking.

But, I'll clean up the fluid and watch the hose. Meanwhile, I did buy a new hose at AZ, but, that center joint does not twist, Barney.

I don't think the joint is supposed to twist, I seem to remember it being stiff.

Ah the great Mopar Mystery of the long power steering hose. I've never had one fail but always wondered why it was so long and why there was that foam rubber sleeve on it. You just had to be careful with positioning it so it didn't get caught up in anything or burned by the exhaust manifold I guess.

Most of the replacement hoses , seem be one size fits all. I have in the past to make a better fit was to cut the long hard metal line end and bend to the needed shape and re flare that end.

Most of the replacement hoses , seem be one size fits all. I have in the past to make a better fit was to cut the long hard metal line end and bend to the needed shape and re flare that end.
Luckily for me, the hoses are the same for '66 and '68, so they are all the longer version that they came with.

Hi Fellas,
Had the Experience Many Years ago of having the P/S Hose Split & Spray ATF onto the Exh Manifold while the Car was Idling in the Drive beside the House.
Never Realised how Flammable ATF was. Nearly Lost the Car & the House.
I was Very Fortunate that the Local Constabulary were Cruising Past & Managed to Save the Situation with a Couple of their Portable Extinguishers.
I've Never Kissed a Cop But I came close that Day! LOL
(There is a REASON for the Liner on the Hose).
Tony.M

This one has been on fleaBay for eons.

Mopar NOS 1966-68 B& 67 Ply/Dodge C-Body 273/318/383 P/S Pressure Hose 2891109 | eBay

NOS 1966-68 & 67 C-Body 273-318-383 PS Pressure Hose 2891109_A.jpg

Hi Fellas,
Had the Experience Many Years ago of having the P/S Hose Split & Spray ATF onto the Exh Manifold while the Car was Idling in the Drive beside the House.
Never Realised how Flammable ATF was. Nearly Lost the Car & the House.
I was Very Fortunate that the Local Constabulary were Cruising Past & Managed to Save the Situation with a Couple of their Portable Extinguishers.
I've Never Kissed a Cop But I came close that Day! LOL
(There is a REASON for the Liner on the Hose).
Tony.M
Every leaking power steering pump/hose/steering box I've encountered has always had red ATF dripping from it. Maybe it's because people just get a little cheap ince they start leaking and fill it up with the cheaper fluid... I don't know, but my experience is my experience and I always use real power steering fluid. Of course, you just made me look it up and the flash point of power steering fluid looks to be 50 degrees F hotter, so there's more food for thought on the subject.

https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/2118131pdf
https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/716570pdf

Thanks Big_John,
My Entire Life I have used ATF in My Power Steering, Didn't even Realise there was Such a Thing as "Proper" P/S Fluid.
An Old Friend of Mine used to say " You Stop Learning the Day they Nail Down the Lid of Your Coffin" How True!
Regards, Tony.M

The reducer joint is not supposed to twist at all. If it ever leaks from this area you need to replace it. It's a real fire hazard. Also the steering capability is very poor if the fluid leaks out and no power assist is left. This is a great way to destroy your 50+ year old rubber steering shaft coupling and have no steering at all. Lack of power assist puts a lot of strain on this old part.

Back