Power steering pump and steering gearbox leaking fluid

75LandYacht

Yank Tank
Reaction score
OK gents, need some guidance. My power steering pump and steering gearbox are leaking, at the moment not too bad but there are spots on the garage floor after day of driving. And I’m sure with a hot summer approaching it’s only gonna get worse sooner. Should I replace both with “Off the shelf” units from my local parts store? Or rebuild what I have? I would like recommendations on sources for “shelf units” and rebuild kits if you guys don’t mind. Thanks much.

OK gents, need some guidance. My power steering pump and steering gearbox are leaking, at the moment not too bad but there are spots on the garage floor after day of driving. And I’m sure with a hot summer approaching it’s only gonna get worse sooner. Should I replace both with “Off the shelf” units from my local parts store? Or rebuild what I have? I would like recommendations on sources for “shelf units” and rebuild kits if you guys don’t mind. Thanks much.

A lot of the off the shelf units these days are crap, rebuilt in China, Brazil etc. Most will leave you pissed off because they either do not function properly or still leak. Have a competent shop rebuild what you have, at least that way you have somebody to take it to if something fails. Especially want to avoid rebuilds with the Cardone or Master Crap (Master Craft) Label.

Dave

Last edited:
Thx Dave.. not something that usually goes bad so I had no idea what to do about it, which is why reached out to you guys. I believe I recently read in another thread about a company in Oregon or somewhere out there that rebuilds steering pumps and gearboxes but I can’t remember what thread I read it in.

How/where are they leaking? Neither part has that many places to leak from. Like the steering gear is it leaking from the top...?
Polara_035.JPG

If it's not leaking "clear" fluid, then it might be that the system is full of atf, which is NOT the spec fluid. And, from my experiences, leaks where genuine power steering fluid (Chrysler's spec for power steering systems) will not seep out.

The power steering pump shaft seal is probably where that leak is. A lip seal.. Probably another o-ring where the rear pressure line attaches? Otherwise, the big o-ring around the perimeter of the pump's "can".

Gearbox? A lip seal on the pitman shaft might have a wear groove on the pitman shaft itself. Seal on the input side of the gear, too. Then the O-rings for the housing where the return line attaches to the top of the gearbox.

Rather than start changing parts/assemblies, brake clean the two and see where the leaks/seeps originate. Then go from there.

CBODY67

John, you have lots of good advice here. I especially would like to point out that you need to clean and diagnose the exact leak locations. It would really suck to invest in rebuilds if your main problem was an old hose. Resealing isn't too hard, but you may not have the tools you'll need to DIY. If you want a warranty, or suspect any wear, rebuilding is best... but cross country has it's downfalls if you need warranty service.

Regardless of whatever repair you do, flush the system. Unless you have it all rebuilt, the old fluid and sediment in there needs to come out. If you put a cap on the pump return nipple, front end on jack stands/with plenty of room for the wheels to turn, a longer hose from the box return into a catch bucket... have a helper turn the steering wheel, engine running, while you pour 2-3 quarts of fluid through system. It's amazing what a clean system will improve. It won't improve play and may make leaks worse if the seals are truly compromised.

C body 67 is correct, find where it is leaking first. One trick I like to use is clean it real good with brake clean and let it dry. Then spay on some spray foot powder, (yes it does work and easy to clean off), this will show you exactly where your leak is. Why replace a steering gear, when it could be a hose.

Good question, I’ll have to clean it off and look.. should’ve had that info when I posted. DUH!!
Think you and I have a similar issue with a leak. Just bought some correct fluid and willvfind out the leak source. I just checked with local automotive store as a backup plan...I can get a pump from MasterPro for $50.00...he said made in the USA...but then he did ask who makes Imperials?:rofl:

C body 67 is correct, find where it is leaking first. One trick I like to use is clean it real good with brake clean and let it dry. Then spay on some spray foot powder, (yes it does work and easy to clean off), this will show you exactly where your leak is. Why replace a steering gear, when it could be a hose.
Hmm good info, I’ll do that thx

Ok, public service announcement time:

Last summer we were on a ten day Mopar only tour when a friend of mine kept having his power steering going in and out. (The motor was a fresh build and he used a new pump from either Year One or Classic Ind.) Eventually, the power assist part gave up all together and we spent that night tearing things apart in the hotel parking lot. Not finding anything obvious (blocked screens, kinked hoses etc.) he ordered a reman pump from the local auto parts store before they closed for the evening, which would have it in the morning.

Next morning he picks up the pump and proceeds to switch the reservoir over as the new pump didn't come with one. Upon pulling it apart he finds a little magnet the manufacturer installed to help catch any metal shavings that might be present in the fluid. Good idea, right ?

Well, it would have been had they taken the magnet out of the little plastic bag it came in before chucking it into the reservoir. The little bugger got stuck in the inlet of the pump, plugging up the works.

So the moral or the story is : If you get a replacement pump with the reservoir attached, you might want to crack it open and have a look before installing it.

IMG_0222[1].JPG

Under the hose mount, in my picture, and you remove the two bolts that hold it down guess what you find? O-rings. Mine leaked and I tightened the two bolts with the blue dash and the leak didn't stop. When I looked under and saw the o-rings I replaced them and not a drop has leaked anywhere since 2010. Of course couldn't get a few o-rings but ended up with a large bag of them.

Hmm good info, I’ll do that thx

John: I had a similar problem with a power steering fluid leak. It turned out to be the big o-ring seal that fits between the can and the pump body had dried out. The tell-tail sign was the presence of PS fluid on top of the lower radiator hose. The rest of my pump and its innards was fine. You can get the rebuild kit with the big o-ring seal from RockAuto for about $7.00.

Hey brother, I just addressed this issue with my 67 300, after trial and error with remanded pumps I spent 60 bucks and had Autozone send it for rebuild, I had to pay Napa 20 bucks to remove the reservoir and reinstall it to actual pump after rebuild took 2 weeks to get pump back and 30 mins to get it back together. I then Had the issue with the power steering valve it leaked big time, I got a rebuild kit from Autozone for 7 bucks and changed seals and replaced, I have had no issues since.

Back