Power Steering Pump Info

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey friends. I want to replace my power steering pump. Problem is, of the three that are available through Rockauto.com, which do I have?

Can you tell me from the picture?

Thanks
IMG_2597.JPG

That pump does not look like it is leaking, why are you going to replace it? If it is making a lot of noise, try flushing out the old fluid and replace it with fresh power steering fluid. A lot of these pumps were noisy from aeration due to incorrect/contaminated fluid foaming in the pump.

Dave

By the looks of the cap, I think that's the federal. And as I recall, the federal's have a larger pulley, around 7 inches? Versus Saginaw's 5 inch? Either will work with a belt change.- edit- when I did it l had a whole used known good one from a parts car I drove, the brackets are likely different.

I would just reseal it, most ''rebuilds'' are just cleaned and resealed. You then can paint, detail the pump if you like.

Federal Pump, you can easily tell by the mount bracket.
The earlier TRW pumps looked similar, but had different mount brackets.
And the Saginaw is completely different altogether.

For those that have asked, and I figured some of you would, it leaks and grinds. I have already rebuilt it once, new seals and all. Now, unless it is filled to half the tube, it grinds and whines. It's rather embarrassing to drive at such times. I have to top it off every other month.

Last edited:
For those that have asked, and I figured some of you would, it leaks and grinds. I have already rebuilt it once, new seals and all. Now, unless it is filled to half the tube, it grands and whines. It's rather embarrassing to drive at such times. I have to top it off every other month.
Now we know the rest of the story, thanks!

I added fluid before I drove to Dunsmuir last week to have lunch with Carmann. I'm back to using PS fluid with "Stop-leak."

If it's leakin around the housing where the big O-ring is, the only way I could get mine to stop was to put a big hose clamp up front to stop it. But you have noise as well, so yeah, replace it. Good Luck

I sealed mine with a new o-ring and some Mopar atf sealant. That stuff is killer.

Start w the junk yards and look at the old poly-318 equipped rides. Every one of those I've seen had a Federal pump on them pre 1966. Hmm, I might go junkyarding myself. My pump currently runs swell, but over time, it will age and wear out....

Start w the junk yards and look at the old poly-318 equipped rides. Every one of those I've seen had a Federal pump on them pre 1966. Hmm, I might go junkyarding myself. My pump currently runs swell, but over time, it will age and wear out....
That would be fun, if there were yards around here with old iron in them. They don't exist.

Even so, I found my leaking problem to be the two hoses. I've ordered the pressure hose from Rockauto.

Back