power steering pump pressure reduce mod

Knebel

Reaction score
Anyone have any input on how to modify the power steering pump valve to reduce the pressure? I have read about shims and a kit you can buy and my question is, what is the standard pressure coming out of the 68 fury iii pump? Itsba saginaw i believe. I feel like I dont need as much support from the power steering and would like to make it a bit stiffer....

Any input is greatly appreciated!

hey man I got nothing except caution for ya - be careful jacking around with the setting. id even see about contacting the dudes that make the stage I / II / III steering kits - firm feel maybe, but im not sure.

anyways I read somewhere about a guy that was goin down the road and that valve flipped to one side and he made an instant left turn as hard as it would go.

b/c its hydraulic fluid it has to be a metric asston of pressure.

Anyone have any input on how to modify the power steering pump valve to reduce the pressure? I have read about shims and a kit you can buy and my question is, what is the standard pressure coming out of the 68 fury iii pump? Itsba saginaw i believe. I feel like I dont need as much support from the power steering and would like to make it a bit stiffer....

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I have heard that using a pump or a valve from a Dodge truck does the trick.

I have read in the past that late 70's or early 80's mopar cop cars had a valve in the pump that reduced the pressure the faster you drove. I can't remember what model of cars anymore, its been too many years.

I have read in the past that late 70's or early 80's mopar cop cars had a valve in the pump that reduced the pressure the faster you drove. I can't remember what model of cars anymore, its been too many years.

That valve would be fantastic to find! Thats how more modern systems work too....

Yup, the line pressure is the key. In a Saginaw pump it's relatively easy to adjust, as the line pressure screw is at the back of the pump. - In a Federal 1.06 pump its more difficult, because the pressure screw is inside the pump. It can be adjusted, but I wouldn't try it if you are not an expert. Might ruin the pump, or end up in the weeds.

The Saginaw pump is a constant pressure pump. In the Federal 1.06 pump (which was used in C-bodies with the heaviest engines) the pressure varies btw high and low, depending on the engine speed. Low engine speed = high pressure, and low steering effort. High engine speed = vice versa.

Anyway, here's the story you were after:

http://www.moparaction.com/tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

And here are the guys who make it happen, if you don't have the means to do it yourself:

http://www.firmfeel.com/

Back