power steering return hose

jake

Reaction score
I believe I asked this last winter and got no responses but here is the problem. Go into the garage today and notice a puddle under the 880. Find out it is powersteering fluid. It is not leaking, it is condensing through the return hose. It did the same thing last year. It condenses so much that it puddles. Its not water condensation but power steering oil. Does the return hose need to be of a specific material? I have a standard 3/4 rubber hose from the autoparts store. Thanks ahead of time.

Most of the parts store sell power steering return hose. Probably no listing for your Fury....Just ask them to show you what they have in the power steering hose section and you should be able to find one.

Just ask them to show you what they have in the power steering hose section and...
smiley-laugh-point-up-yellow.gif

You're a funny guy, Bob.
Let's see...
Toyota... Honda... Nissan... Hyundai....

smiley-laugh-point-up-yellow.gif

You're a funny guy, Bob.
Let's see...
Toyota... Honda... Nissan... Hyundai....

Just walk back in the parts department with the parts guy and just look for the return hoses hanging in the bag or sometimes they are in a box. Doesn't matter what vehicle it is for as long as the ID is correct and long enough. There isn't any ends on most of the return hoses. It's just a piece of power steering return hose. I did that at AAP and found one for the NYB.

Sorry, Bob. You're right. One becomes a tad jaded with those shitholes here in FumBuck County.

Just walk back in the parts department with the parts guy and just look for the return hoses hanging in the bag or sometimes they are in a box. Doesn't matter what vehicle it is for as long as the ID is correct and long enough. There isn't any ends on most of the return hoses. It's just a piece of power steering return hose. I did that at AAP and found one for the NYB.

Here are the bulk hose part numbers to help your parts guy Dayco hoses power steering/transmission use
dayco_transmissionoilcooler_powersteeringreturnlinehose.gif

When I replaced my ps return hose. I was able to get it from my local NAPA. The hose is a Parker hose 5/8" I forget the Parker#

I found the NAPA# NPS 71207
NAPA calls it a Power Steering Reservoir Hose
3 1/2 ft long
Heater hose will not work power steering fluid will break down the rubber making it soft. I would also get a Heater hose shaping coil so the hose doesn't kink where it clamps at the reservoir

I did my 62 880 as the pump reservoir was leaking and since I had it out I replaced both hoses, napa has them in stock, return is cut to fit.

I did a search and found this old thread. All the hose choices are covered, but what about the clamps? What is the proper style used on these? Mine had the worm gear type which I don’t believe are correct. Any help on the correct type?
My assumption is something like this. (On my brake booster line which is original) or were they more like the fuel line clamps?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Like your first picture. They are called corbin clamps. Used on all the hoses except the fuel line. The fuel line is a crimp clamp.

I will now go off topic, a little anyway, since we are on the topic of clamps.
Fuel system
Yes I understand that the crimp clamps were used on the majority of the fuel system. What about the clamps that go on either side of the fuel filler? Are they they band clamps like I had in my second picture above or are they the permanent crimp clamps? I cringe at the thought of the crimp clamps there as I have replaced the fuel filter a couple of different times on the side of the road. Much easier with pliers and reusable clamps.

I would not crimp the filter lines. Having said that the assembly was most likely crimped and installed whole on the assembly line. The replacement parts are the band style and are listed as "use as required". Meaning if you need a clamp for this use one of these....

Now I have two different votes.

By the way I had those same worm gear clamps on mine. Probably because after time the hose started to seep.

Back