Power Steering

Mr357M

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Chrysler Imperial and the steering wheel is not as light as I’d like to. I’ve already had all parts checked and a new steering box a a new power steering pump. I can assure you that the system is working as it should. What I’d like to have is something like the 60’s Ford over-boosted super light steering wheel feeling. Any suggestion for a lighter steering wheel? An over boosted power steering pump maybe?

Thank you.

Most people want just the opposite, a firmer "Euro" experience.

On most power steering pumps, where the pressure line attaches to the back of the pump, behind that fitting is a fitting with a drilled orifice in it. That's where the boost pressure is modulated. Bigger hole, more "assist", smaller hole, less "assist". Has you system been pressure-checked as per the Chrysler service manual?

Stock, there should be enough assist to allow for "2-finger twirling" of the steering wheel spokes. With original-style tires. Which many felt was "too light", but would allow for 97lb drivers to parrallel park those 4800lb vehicles with ease. Similar with mid-'60s Lincolns, but the Chrysler steering had more feel, by observation.

The most over-boosted vehicles I've driven were older Jaguar sedans which had been converted to SBC engines and still used the orig Jag steering rack. A hissss comes up through the steering column and if you breathe on the wheel, it would turn, it seemed. This was using the GM power steering pump with the boost supposedly cut down as far as they could, as the Jag rack took less pressure to work.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

CBODY67 is correct that most want a firmer feel saying it gives more road feedback. I’ve always been just the opposite & prefered a lighter feel. Even on my race cars I like a light easy steering car. I’ve driven everything from Trans Ams to Porsche’s to Lincoln’s. I like the feel of a light over assisted steering car. Automobile companies once advertised how easy their cars steered & turned. And how well they rode. They no longer do this. Because they no longer do.

I have a 1973 Chrysler Imperial and the steering wheel is not as light as I’d like to. I’ve already had all parts checked and a new steering box a a new power steering pump. I can assure you that the system is working as it should. What I’d like to have is something like the 60’s Ford over-boosted super light steering wheel feeling. Any suggestion for a lighter steering wheel? An over boosted power steering pump maybe?

Thank you.

One way to give the power steering a "boost" is to install a smaller pulley on the pump. That will turn the pump faster and it should throw additional volume resulting in a lighter feel on the steering wheel. Before doing that, be sure you replace the high side power steering hose if you have not done so already, a hose with a deteriorating inner liner restricts fluid flow, this can also cause the steering to feel "dead".

Dave

"Ease of operation" was always a "sign of luxury" from the 1940s upward into the 1980s or so. As each new product to allow such became available. Starting with power windows and power seats, then automatic transmissions, power steering, and power brakes. PLUS factory air conditioning. Ease and comfort.

"1-finger steering", "toe-touch" power brakes, "no-foot-clutch" transmissions, as many termed them back then. EACH with their own unique nomenclatures from the manufacturers in their advertising! Buick even termed the GM Guide headlights "See-Right Headlights" in 1958. A catchy name for everything, back then, to imply that what the partuclar brand had was better than similar items on other brands of vehicles. Bigger, Better, Longer, Lower, Wider was "all good".

Then, Euro orientations of "firmer" steering, disc brakes had tended to dull the pedal response of power drum brakes, as stiffer structures were required by crash safety requirements were implemented. Then the vibrant and colorfully adorned interiors became mono-tone or "shade on shade" with either "tan/beige/cashmere" or "black/charcoal/gray" prevailing. Newer customers didn't seem to mind, so those fewer choices became "what the customer wants" to the marketing operatives (as exterior colors also became fewer, with black, white, gray/silver being what many dealers had on their lots).

"Fewer choices" had been a hallmark of import brands for decades, as many used trim levels to determine the equipment on the vehicles. Which also reduced their production costs, but possibly gave the purchaser more things they didn't really need, but had to pay for anyway, as a result. FWIW

Just some observations,
CBODY67

Thank you.
The power steering pump is really a fairly simple pump with an internal regulator for flow and pressure. The larger cars get the springs in the regulator that offer more pressure for more steering assist and the small cars get the springs for less assist. The problem is that the rebuilds are a "one size fits all" and the springs will be average rather than specific like Chrysler intended.

Rick Ehrenberg did some articles for Mopar Action on fitting the Saginaw pumps with springs from slant six A body cars to firm up steering effort. Do some searching and I'll bet with a little reverse engineering, you could retrofit a Saginaw pump and select the spring that gives the most amount of assist.

Overdriving the pump won't buy you anything because of the internal regulation. Having flashbacks to my hydraulics class in night school 45 years ago right now... LOL.

Most people want just the opposite, a firmer "Euro" experience.

On most power steering pumps, where the pressure line attaches to the back of the pump, behind that fitting is a fitting with a drilled orifice in it. That's where the boost pressure is modulated. Bigger hole, more "assist", smaller hole, less "assist". Has you system been pressure-checked as per the Chrysler service manual?

Stock, there should be enough assist to allow for "2-finger twirling" of the steering wheel spokes. With original-style tires. Which many felt was "too light", but would allow for 97lb drivers to parrallel park those 4800lb vehicles with ease. Similar with mid-'60s Lincolns, but the Chrysler steering had more feel, by observation.

The most over-boosted vehicles I've driven were older Jaguar sedans which had been converted to SBC engines and still used the orig Jag steering rack. A hissss comes up through the steering column and if you breathe on the wheel, it would turn, it seemed. This was using the GM power steering pump with the boost supposedly cut down as far as they could, as the Jag rack took less pressure to work.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Thank you for your reply. If I wanted an European firm experience I would have bought a modern European car, LOL. In my car I can't "2-finger twirling", but what I'm looking for is a 1 finger twirling steering wheel. I'll keep searching. Stay safe.

One way to give the power steering a "boost" is to install a smaller pulley on the pump. That will turn the pump faster and it should throw additional volume resulting in a lighter feel on the steering wheel. Before doing that, be sure you replace the high side power steering hose if you have not done so already, a hose with a deteriorating inner liner restricts fluid flow, this can also cause the steering to feel "dead".

Dave
Thank you for the tips. I'll check those hoses.

The power steering pump is really a fairly simple pump with an internal regulator for flow and pressure. The larger cars get the springs in the regulator that offer more pressure for more steering assist and the small cars get the springs for less assist. The problem is that the rebuilds are a "one size fits all" and the springs will be average rather than specific like Chrysler intended.

Rick Ehrenberg did some articles for Mopar Action on fitting the Saginaw pumps with springs from slant six A body cars to firm up steering effort. Do some searching and I'll bet with a little reverse engineering, you could retrofit a Saginaw pump and select the spring that gives the most amount of assist.

Overdriving the pump won't buy you anything because of the internal regulation. Having flashbacks to my hydraulics class in night school 45 years ago right now... LOL.

Thank you. I'll make a search on those pressure regulators.

Back