Power Window Motor

rexus31

Reaction score
I think the front passenger's side window motor quit. Has anyone successfully replaced one with the regulator still in the car?

I have replaced no less then 4 motors in my Imp this past year and you can't even access the bolts that attach it to the regulator without removing it from the door. The first one or two that you do can be a challenge but it really is the easiest way to do it. Plus it gives you the best opportunity to grease everything up proper on reinstall.

I have replaced no less then 4 motors in my Imp this past year and you can't even access the bolts that attach it to the regulator without removing it from the door. The first one or two that you do can be a challenge but it really is the easiest way to do it. Plus it gives you the best opportunity to grease everything up proper on reinstall.

On mine, the 3 motor mounting bolts are accessible.

You will want to clamp the main arm to the door, or block it so it can't move. Once you remove the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place, and remove the motor, the BIG assist spring will come down like a tomahawk! First time I discovered this I had my arm inside a rear quarter panel of a 68 Coronet. I was there by myself and it took me about an hour to get free...cut my arm up pretty bad too.

You will want to clamp the main arm to the door, or block it so it can't move. Once you remove the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place, and remove the motor, the BIG assist spring will come down like a tomahawk! First time I discovered this I had my arm inside a rear quarter panel of a 68 Coronet. I was there by myself and it took me about an hour to get free...cut my arm up pretty bad too.

Thanks. Nice safety tip!

I think the front passenger's side window motor quit. Has anyone successfully replaced one with the regulator still in the car?

From my experience you will need to remove the entire regulator and change the motor on the bench.
Not a big deal to do. The glass is secured with only a couple of screws/bolts.
vice grips or a c-clamp should be used to secure the big arm, as mentioned, before removing the motor bolts.

A couple of hours the first time out should get the job done.

The rear 1/4 window motors are a little more of a challenge.

Glass does not need to come out to take reg out, it really is the best and easiest way to do it safely. Did you find new replacement motor?

Glass does not need to come out to take reg out, it really is the best and easiest way to do it safely. Did you find new replacement motor?

Not yet. I'll probably pull the regulator this weekend and would like to have a motor ready to go.

My understanding is that new ones can be had and I would recommend it as I haven't had much success with the used ones lasting more then a few weeks of use before the big chunk of rubber separates from the gear.

I always pull the regulator assembly. It's the best way to stay safe with the assist spring. In my experience the motor is fine and it's the plastic pucks that grind shatter...replace the pucks with steel nuts and new grease and you're good to go and they won't fail again.

So you can fix them?
i don't have a source yet, I just vowed that the next time I was not going with used. I bought a full set removed from a '76 model, which may have been the last year for interchange and the one I put on the driver's door lasted 3 or 4 cycles.
eBay might be a good place to start looking and I even heard that you can by new ones that will work for our cars from Ford...that's just hearsay.

The Ford ones can fit with tweaking..they are similar but NOT the same. Mopar motors are easily fixed with hardware parts for pennies...I thought everyone knew?

How about a tutorial on how to fix them, I have resisted the urge to throw away all the ones I have with the broken pucks.

You getting power on both sides of the switch?

I disassembled one of mine completely, cleaned (emery cloth) the commutator and the brushes, lubed,reassembled, and it appears to be working OK for now. I have not had a chance to redo the spare dead ones I have laying around.

Back