Power window switch/door panel question

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
Silly question, but that are what forums are for!
I’m removing and restoring the door panels from my 70 300 convertible, and I’m wondering what is the best way to get the square single power window switches through the panel when removing the panels?

Once the harness is unplugged from the switch, you can squeeze the springs on the side of the switch so that it will move through the metal surround that holds it to the panel. Then you can remove the metal surround item itself, if desired.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Once the harness is unplugged from the switch, you can squeeze the springs on the side of the switch so that it will move through the metal surround that holds it to the panel. Then you can remove the metal surround item itself, if desired.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

On the 1969 and up cars, the connector won't come off the switch until it is removed from the metal bezel/bracket that's crimped onto the door panel.

To remove the switch, you need to insert a flat blade screwdriver between the switch and the metal bracket on the door panel, and pry the switch out. There are four clips on the switch that secure it to the bracket. Sometimes one or more of the clips will break off of the switch during removal. Not much that you can do to avoid that. Sometimes the clips just aren't crimped onto the switch very well.

Jeff

Silly question, but that are what forums are for!
I’m removing and restoring the door panels from my 70 300 convertible, and I’m wondering what is the best way to get the square single power window switches through the panel when removing the panels?
Just to expand on previous answers, I have found a putty knife slipped between the switch and the metal bracket that is attached to the panel works well. When you get the switch popped out from the panel, then unplug the wires from the back the the electric plug will slide through the opening in the panel. Pat

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of the back side of these switches and how they connect to the panel?

My 68 300 power switches all kind of ‘droop out’ of the panels. It looks like the tabs that hold them in place have blown out the chip board in the panel. I was going to come on here and ask if there is some kind of retainer plate for the back of the panels then I found this thread. Sounds like some type of bracket/plate is standard for these switches, but may be missing on my doors. I am interested in learning more.

Thanks!

Some photos of my drooping switches:
30406B4C-30D8-425D-9B9B-3FE51D452E51.jpeg
9A30D689-5BE4-4725-A7A9-0D64BB143A08.jpeg

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of the back side of these switches and how they connect to the panel?

My 68 300 power switches all kind of ‘droop out’ of the panels. It looks like the tabs that hold them in place have blown out the chip board in the panel. I was going to come on here and ask if there is some kind of retainer plate for the back of the panels then I found this thread. Sounds like some type of bracket/plate is standard for these switches, but may be missing on my doors. I am interested in learning more.

Thanks!
I was hesitant to post a pic of my '70 (different switches) but after looking at @D Cluley 's eBay link, the retainers look similar enough that it should give you a good idea how they mount.

KI6KQuH.jpg

Thanks for the additional information. I am pretty sure those bezels are still on my switches…. After seeing Big John’s photo of the backside of the panel I am almost certain the little metal tabs were ‘pulled through’ the chip board (or whatever that material is) on the panel.
A9E10179-AD1F-4C6B-BA94-255035F16B4E.jpeg

I’ll have to pull the panels off to be sure, but I am thinking I could reinforce the back of the opening in some way? Maybe a thin metal frame/bracket that those tabs could hang on to??
4E9B9E4D-2B61-48B8-A16A-F27D5C80AF53.jpeg

Back