Power windows out of order...

Seb'74

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a problem with power Windows of my '74 Grand Fury (PP43M4F).
Actually, the 4 power windows are out of order, they won't go up nor down. I tried to check if a fuse was blown, but there is no fuse. There is a circuit breaker instead. In addition to this, the front vent will not work either. All the rest works well : windows wipers, driver's power seat, rear defogger, lights, blinkers, dome light, etc. (Car is not fitted with power locks, neither air-cond.)
I think that the power windows circuit breaker is down. The problem is that I don't know where can I find one.
Can anybody help me in finding a replacement circuit breaker? Or give me tips to check some things that have to be checked if the circuit breaker is not faulty? Precison : car battery is brand new (no voltage issue).
Thanks for your help!
Sebastien

I strongly suggest getting a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your car. Many questions like this can be answered by going through their test procedures. With the manual and a digital multi meter, you will have the diagnostic tools. The alternative is a bunch of "throw it against the wall and see what sticks" parts replacement.

I like the FSM on CD because you can print out pages, highlight or mark them up, get them greasy etc.
1974 Chrysler Plymouth Shop Service Repair Manual CD Engine Drivetrain Wiring OE | eBay

For now, you could download a 1972 version that will be close enough to get you started.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

With a multimeter you can check for power into and out of the circuit breaker. On newer cars the power for the windows all goes to the drivers door first. IDK if the older ones are that way or not.

I just had that problem with my 1970 300. It seems to me there were breakers out there at Summit and some of the other parts places. Sorry, I did not need the parts, so I did not order it and I cannot remember what the solution was but I am thinking it might have been a fuse. I have been working on the electrical for the last month!
Hi guys,
I have a problem with power Windows of my '74 Grand Fury (PP43M4F).
Actually, the 4 power windows are out of order, they won't go up nor down. I tried to check if a fuse was blown, but there is no fuse. There is a circuit breaker instead. In addition to this, the front vent will not work either. All the rest works well : windows wipers, driver's power seat, rear defogger, lights, blinkers, dome light, etc. (Car is not fitted with power locks, neither air-cond.)
I think that the power windows circuit breaker is down. The problem is that I don't know where can I find one.
Can anybody help me in finding a replacement circuit breaker? Or give me tips to check some things that have to be checked if the circuit breaker is not faulty? Precison : car battery is brand new (no voltage issue).
Thanks for your help!
Sebastien

You'll probably need to get into the excellent Chrysler wiring diagrams in the factory service manual. I kind of doubt that the wiring diagrams for the Formals changed that much from the earlier cars, but I could be wrong.

With the wiring diagram, you can determine which is the power wire to the switch. Then you can remove the switch and jumper between the power wire and the terminals that go to the individual windows. If that doesn't work, then trace the wires backward to the power source.

ALSO, find the power supply wire after it passes through the bulkhead connector and goes to its major power source. Plus, you might end up taking the engine-side of the affected connector apart to look for degraded/gunked-up terminals inside of the bulkhead connector itself.

Seems like there is a 10ga red wire that comes through the bulkhead connector and goes to the ignition switch? So, the ignition switch is in that circuit, but if the car runs, the issue would be on the output side of the switch? At least, that's how my '67 Newport is wired. Power seats are wired "direct" to power, not through the ignition switch, as are the power locks (if equipped).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

You'll probably need to get into the excellent Chrysler wiring On the Chrysler 300, the red wire is tapped into just before the firewall and a separate red wire goes though and the windows and top relays use it.
diagrams in the factory service manual. I kind of doubt that the wiring diagrams for the Formals changed that much from the earlier cars, but I could be wrong.

With the wiring diagram, you can determine which is the power wire to the switch. Then you can remove the switch and jumper between the power wire and the terminals that go to the individual windows. If that doesn't work, then trace the wires backward to the power source.

ALSO, find the power supply wire after it passes through the bulkhead connector and goes to its major power source. Plus, you might end up taking the engine-side of the affected connector apart to look for degraded/gunked-up terminals inside of the bulkhead connector itself.

Seems like there is a 10ga red wire that comes through the bulkhead connector and goes to the ignition switch? So, the ignition switch is in that circuit, but if the car runs, the issue would be on the output side of the switch? At least, that's how my '67 Newport is wired. Power seats are wired "direct" to power, not through the ignition switch, as are the power locks (if equipped).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you all, I'll try to do all you suggest when I have a few moments. For instance in Paris, France, it's not warm enough to forced to open the windows... ;)

Back