Proposal for Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 4 years of turmoil, I just don't need any more. And I am not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone of anything.
And there is the problem. This need to convince everyone to agree with you.
Hey, opinions vary. Accept it and move on to making fun of those craigslist ads!:rolleyes:

Every society must discuss controversial ideas and become intellectually armed so as to defend and advance our western civilisation. Reducing one forum on our board will have a negligible effect however multiply it across the internet such actions will only be advantageous to totalitarianism.

Start a political forum which if anyone read I stated was a good idea.
Be civil but state your opinion as to criticizing policy's of the current administration
See what happens. Ive been there and done that in the FBBO political forum.
My right hand To God, I was subjected to every attack, lies, scumbag comments and of course I went right back at them.
In the world I grew up in and worked in words mattered. Those words mattered because there was no internet to hide behind. Saying some of the crap I read here would have gotten you a fist in the face, nobody ran to the police, no getting sued.
When I ran my mouth and got the beating of my life by a few older guys, I decided to think first before I opened my mouth.
When I did my active duty I learned why there is rules and why they are followed.
In my late thirties through my early forties I decided to try out a certain martial arts style, I didnt know it was more a fighting style and I discovered getting knocked around by a guy half your size was a humbling benefit. I finally learned as I got better and in the best shape off my life (sans the military) was I didnt have to settle disputes gone to far with my hands but if someone crossed that line it was game on.
Later on when I had to come to terms with my youngest son being gay and what hate he would have to deal with I learned understanding.
Finally ten years ago when my wife developed Stage 4 cancer and I experienced the care and dedication of the staff that cared for her, then I understood what compassion was
What all of this has to do with whats in this forum is some. have lost all forms of respect, it always someone else fault. Demanding as if its owed to you. Running your mouth with written words and never having to back it up. Brag about how your the same way in person until you have the unfortunate experience of meeting the wrong person.
We lost any chance of having a political forum because of some of the attitudes expressed here. Im willing to wipe the slate clean and move on to cars

For decades, we have been taught the myth of "you don't discuss politics or religion in polite company"...they're taboo, somehow. Therein lies the problem.

When you DONT discuss politics or religion in a healthy, straightforward, and non-threatening manner, it becomes impossible to discuss either at all, with anyone. This only comes with practice, and open discussion.

Without that ability, and the self'-control needed not to be an *** about it, then we can't learn. Yeah, I've gone off a couple of times, shoot me.

In the world I grew up in and worked in words mattered. Those words mattered because there was no internet to hide behind. Saying some of the crap I read here would have gotten you a fist in the face, nobody ran to the police, no getting sued.
When I ran my mouth and got the beating of my life by a few older guys, I decided to think first before I opened my mouth.

Therein lies a major problem. In today's word, the western world, our world, people have been so coddled that words and text are somehow now "violence", of course these people have never experienced actual violence, and people "have" to be protected from words and text. Eliminating the ability to speak freely here is a continuation of the same coddling and erosion of your/mine/our 1st amendment right of free speech. Look at what is going on/being said by the political left and "academics" right now who are trying to define "hate speech", which seems to be anything that disagrees with them or their group. Free speech is a bad thing to these people. Just think about that and look at how it's spreading like an actual virus where more and more things are added to the "we can't talk about that" list, even here online.

In my late thirties through my early forties I decided to try out a certain martial arts style, I didn't know it was more a fighting style and I discovered getting knocked around by a guy half your size was a humbling benefit.

Since you said that, I will say that I've been participating in a combat sport for a few years now and I love seeing the new guys with something to prove come in. It's always the new, young guys (15-25) who think they will prove something. :rofl: You can see the moment they start to realize some realities of life. I'm going to say we have a return rate at my gym of 1-in-5, and a long term member rate of 1-in-10.

Running your mouth with written words and never having to back it up.
Is this what you mean by backing it up?
a fist in the face
The Karate classes I took years ago taught discipline and restraint based on self awareness. Physical self defence was always a last resort. How about a cogent counter-argument based on facts when engaging in an online forum?
Here are some ideas to keep disagreements in a debate respectful.
A Debilitating Mental Health Crisis Almost Ended His Life. Now He Wants to Save Others
It appears the link is wonky. Here is a cut and paste version.

What a world it would be if we all agreed on absolutely everything. But, as you already know, that's just not reality.

We all have our own thoughts, opinions, and values -- which means disagreements can be pretty common, especially in the workplace.

However, there's a big difference between just disagreeing and disagreeing respectfully. The first will likely cause hurt feelings and only add fuel to an already tense fire. But, the second? That approach can lead to new ideas and a much more productive discussion.

Unfortunately, it's all too easy to get so wrapped up in your own beliefs that all common courtesy goes straight out the window. So, as a friendly reminder, here are six key tips for disagreeing with someone -- respectfully, of course.

1. Focus on Facts

A strong argument is one that uses facts over opinion. But, that can be difficult to remember when you're in the middle of a disagreement.

However, a respectful -- not to mention compelling -- disagreement is one that prioritizes logic over your emotions about the situation. So, don't forget to place your emphasis on the reasoning and information supporting your disagreement.

Not only will that make you much more convincing, but it'll also make it clear that this isn't personal.

2. Don't Get Personal
Speaking of getting personal, it's something you want to avoid at all costs when disagreeing with someone -- particularly in a professional setting.

Obviously, that means you shouldn't put down the other person or attack his or her ideas and beliefs. That's not at all helpful or productive.

Instead, focus on illustrating why you feel the way you do. Remember, your goal is to effectively present your ideas -- not to just poke holes in the other person's.

3. Recognize the Good
Yes, you're disagreeing with this person. But, rarely is a suggestion so bad that you can't find a single nugget of wisdom hidden in there somewhere.

Before launching right in with your argument, it's best if you can preface it with something that you like about that person's original suggestion -- and then use that as a launching point for your own idea.

For example, something like, "I definitely think you're on the right track in saying that we need to improve our customer response time. But, what if we did it this way instead?" shares your idea in a way that's friendly and collaborative -- and not at all accusatory.

4. Remember to Listen
There's a trap that's all too easy to fall into when you find yourself in the middle of a disagreement: Rather than actively listening, you're just sitting there waiting for your chance to respond.

Unfortunately, conversations where you're completely tuning the other person out are never productive. So, remember to actually listen to the points your conversational partner is presenting. You might be surprised -- you could end up finding an even better solution that way.

5. Use "I" Statements
Which one of the following statements sounds more harsh and critical?

"You always come up with these big ideas so close to the deadline that you only make things harder for everybody."

"I see where you're coming from, but I'm concerned we might be getting too close to the deadline for major changes."

Chances are, the first one made you recoil just a little bit. This example is an adequate representation of why it's best to use "I" statements when disagreeing with someone. It's just another subtle way to illustrate that your disagreement isn't a personal attack.

No, effectively disagreeing isn't all about sugarcoating what you're trying to say. But, making even this small effort to soften your language can make a big difference in how your message is received.

6. Know When to Move On
That cliché catchphrase "agree to disagree" is oft-repeated for a reason: It can be a handy sentiment to lean on when you need it.

Perhaps one of the most important pieces of respectfully disagreeing with someone is knowing when you need to just call it quits and move on.

No, it's not always easy to swallow your pride and walk away -- particularly when you feel strongly about your side. But, sometimes it's the best thing you can do.

Disagreements are inevitable. But, there's definitely a wrong way and a right way to present your own arguments.

Implement these six key tips, and you'll be able to disagree in a way that's effective, professional, and always respectful.

Last edited:
I'm learning that Cornpop and his group of idiots censor as they please. There is no ryme or reasoning to it. Just the liberal everyone needs to get along mentally. Maybe if you so called men could wash the sand out of your Vag things would be better here. Freedom of speech is just that. But this ***** turning into censorship hall! Maybe Joey should sell the parts, part out the cars, answer troubleshooting questions. And no not about why this thread is closed, or why isn't this forum working. Actually getting his ******* precious finger nails dirty then I may have some respect for you.

Therein lies a major problem. In today's word, the western world, our world, people have been so coddled that words and text are somehow now "violence", of course these people have never experienced actual violence, and people "have" to be protected from words and text. Eliminating the ability to speak freely here is a continuation of the same coddling and erosion of your/mine/our 1st amendment right of free speech. Look at what is going on/being said by the political left and "academics" right now who are trying to define "hate speech", which seems to be anything that disagrees with them or their group. Free speech is a bad thing to these people. Just think about that and look at how it's spreading like an actual virus where more and more things are added to the "we can't talk about that" list, even here online.

Since you said that, I will say that I've been participating in a combat sport for a few years now and I love seeing the new guys with something to prove come in. It's always the new, young guys (15-25) who think they will prove something. :rofl: You can see the moment they start to realize some realities of life. I'm going to say we have a return rate at my gym of 1-in-5, and a long term member rate of 1-in-10.
Big, your a good man a guy I could probably get along with great and politics never be a issue.
I happen to agree with what you posted
A added benefit would be you'd never have to worry about getting something fabed or welded again, LOL

For decades, we have been taught the myth of "you don't discuss politics or religion in polite company"...they're taboo, somehow. Therein lies the problem.

When you DONT discuss politics or religion in a healthy, straightforward, and non-threatening manner, it becomes impossible to discuss either at all, with anyone. This only comes with practice, and open discussion.

Without that ability, and the self'-control needed not to be an *** about it, then we can't learn. Yeah, I've gone off a couple of times, shoot me.

Call it “Practice for the real world”.
The ability to civilly converse with those of differing opinions is mandatory for a successful personal and professional life.

Call it “Practice for the real world”.
The ability to civilly converse with those of differing opinions is mandatory for a successful personal and professional life.
But that's not happening in todays society now is it? That's why it get's so ugly on the I-net with because you can be nasty and hide behind words and not have to answer for it!
You guys still beatin this dead horse!

didn't we all learn as kids -- sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/...
sticks and stones may break my bones, (but words can never hurt me) child's expression. said in order to show that people cannot be hurt by unpleasant things that are said to them.

words on the internet are typed. there is no way to interpret feelings, meanings or sometimes even intentions through typewritten words.
do you read a book , get angry and contact the author to express your feelings? no , you put it down and walk away. no different.

One big problem is people thinking they have a right NOT to be offended. Bullshit to that! Not a soul on Earth has that alleged "right". If a person is offended by whatever, the proper resolution is remove oneself from the offensive words/person/thing. These days, all it takes is ONE person to be offended, and the world ends! Everyone must kowtow to the puss that was "offended". And that is pure Bullshit.

do you read a book , get angry and contact the author to express your feelings? no , you put it down and walk away. no different.
The mods here along with a contingent of like minded progressive members take the view that noxious speech constitutes a form of violence that causes some sort of terrible harm. What sort of harm isn't specified other than perhaps the bruised egos of some members. If we can't find any real evidence of harm here on this board, can we perhaps look in society in general to find evidence of harm?

When we look what we find is that actually the opposite is true. SCOTUS has recognized increasingly fewer exceptions to the First Amendment over the last several decades. The result has not been an increase in violence, rather the violent crime rate has plummeted since the early 1990s. In the US your capacity for free speech has increased in inverse proportion to declining instances of violence. The progressive's argument is therefore thoroughly repudiated and your 1st Amendment works very well as written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back