PS pressure line leak

darth_linux

Reaction score
Why would my PS line be leaking here? It’s new, and it’s tight.

61085F21-3D36-4D23-AC45-04E612E9A0E1.jpeg

IF there is a flare on that end, something might not be mating correctly? Or a slight rough spot on the new hose flare? Might need to drain some fluid, get a drain pan under things, and remove the end for inspection and the "pattern" on the flare end of the hose?

CBODY67

IF there is a flare on that end, something might not be mating correctly? Or a slight rough spot on the new hose flare? Might need to drain some fluid, get a drain pan under things, and remove the end for inspection and the "pattern" on the flare end of the hose?

CBODY67
Good suggestions, thank you!

probably bad flare contact from tube seam, burr on the flare, or debris. try tightening like they recommend on new brake line flares where you tighten/loosen and repeat if nothing seen on the flare contact area

Yes inspect the flare first. Don’t just tighten it without looking at it. Did you use the correct flare nut wrench to get it tight. An open end wrench doesn’t do as well.

I took it all apart, didn't really find anything except bits of teflon tape not where they are supposed to be. I'm thinking that was the problem. I cleaned it all, applied about 5 wrap arounds of fresh teflon tape to the threads, reattached the fitting and it seems to be running dry now.

Thanks all for the tips. I didn't notice any problems with the flare end itself, just debris in the fitting.

The purpose of the nut is to put pressure on the flare of the tubing against the flare seat, not to seal on the outside.
That’s what I thought. Not sure what the source of the leak is. It seemed like there was a lot of slop getting it to seat, unlike the carb fitting I did yesterday. Teflon tape seemed to help, so for now, that is that.

Weird. It was leaking without it. Stopped leaking with it. Not sure what next steps are, other than "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
You will be revisiting that one. If possible compare to the old joint next time you have it apart. Did it leak there (the reason for replacement) or was there another problem with the old hose??

You will be revisiting that one. If possible compare to the old joint next time you have it apart. Did it leak there (the reason for replacement) or was there another problem with the old hose??
The PO replaced the hose.

Back