PS23K8D191537 04/09/1968 W. H. Humphreys

In its current state, I'd have to rebuild it. But I go overboard on everything.
But I'm getting better.

Just thought I'd chime in here for those watching this car as I am.
I am the previous owner and the last one to drive it.
It was my daily driver around 1990 or so when I was commuting with it 100+ miles a day. It was reliable and smooth and used no oil to speak of.
One day coming home from work the trans started to slip badly from a new and fast fluid leak.
I added two quarts and made it home with the trans working as it should but dripping fast.

So it sat for 27 years. (stuff came up for a while)---I think it is worthwhile to fire the engine again before it is removed in order to better assess its condition.
Back in the day I ran many engines for many good miles that sat for years.
IMO (having overhauled several 727 transmissions) believe the trans. is just fine aside from the leak problem --based on how it worked when it came to rest for a while.:) (It needs to come out and go on the table for the usual parts and seals).
It's fun to watch Saylor doing what I wanted to have done many times over the years. Glad it found a good nurse to patch it up.

Last edited:
20171022_150859.jpg
20171022_150910.jpg
old repair ?

its on the fan side of things,, so how tf does that happen

so i have punted on trying to get it to start. it free spins and ive got fire out of the coil. but it only catches on 1 cylinder the others dont build pressure (listening to the load on the starter). i let it soak like 3 weeks or so in mystery oil.
today i started pulling the misc out of the way - booster and M/C, radiator, shroud, hoses, wiring.

20171022_153324.jpg
wahts the secret to taking this off without boogering the wire? this is where the booster vac hose went... what do i have here? is it a wire, or vacuum hose? it goes into the dash - is it some A/C crap vacuum hose?

Probably vacuum for the hvac.

so im in the market for a radiator . . 440 w/ A/C. i was thinkin of going electric fan too. im not opposed to that anyways. whats my move?

i took off the AC compressor, that thing is heavy as fck..
how do i separate the xmission from the motor? can i do it with simple garden tools?

motor stamped
D 440
12 7 2

thats it. dec 7th 2nd motor of the shift/day.

i took off the AC compressor, that thing is heavy as fck..
how do i separate the xmission from the motor? can i do it with simple garden tools?

motor stamped
D 440
12 7 2

thats it. dec 7th 2nd motor of the shift/day.

Pull the inspection plate off and get the torque converter bolts out first. Mark them when you remove them so they go back in in the right place. After that's done, pull the bolts off the flange and you should be good to go.

Wait till your wife wants to use that cooler..er tranny stand.:poke:

Good thinking, it has its own two wheeler built in so you can move it around in a snap.:thumbsup:

Back