Pulley combos revised!

furyus 67

Reaction score
Well Peter piper pick a patch of ph@&n pulleys. What I have is a 413,1972 block and lower end.....and a pile o pulleys..

image.jpg

Im assuming you want to know what combination will work for your engine? First up before we get into it, is there AC on this setup? And will you be running a clutch fan?

Okay eliminate the small flat pulley for the fan , that's for clutch fans only, then you will be using the triple pulley on the crank, lastly, can we see a picture of the type of power steering pump as well as the pulley on the alternator and show how it is mounted. Then we can put our heads together, I have a number of engines here with systems all in place and can cross reference.

I have those items in my collection and will check the setup on them, I can get back to you on this tomorrow.

Thanks , I've got a another motor home 413 to look at tomorrow. Hopefully he's got what I need.

The 2 groove crank pulley, and long snout single groove water pump pulley should be what you want.
Unfortunately that doesn't work. The closest I've gotten to a working combo is shiming the power steering pump, running the dual crank and dual water pump. Which lines up the inner crank to the outer water pump groove. Unfortunately it also lines up the alternator and power steering to the same grooves.

keep in mind that all the brackets need to come from the same year and same AC/PS combo.
I'm not saying this is an absolute but the more variables you introduce the greater the potential of problems will become.

So the question is.
Are the alternator brackets and power steering brackets from the same year?

We have been assuming they are the originals to the car, that being said where the original pullies?

Alan

The 2 groove crank pulley, and single groove water pump pulley worked for me on my non ac big block setup. But... I used a 2 groove alternator pulley to get the straight belt routing.

Unfortunately that doesn't work. The closest I've gotten to a working combo is shiming the power steering pump, running the dual crank and dual water pump. Which lines up the inner crank to the outer water pump groove. Unfortunately it also lines up the alternator and power steering to the same grooves.

Photo0467.jpg

Photo0468.jpg

Photo0471.jpg

Okay I setup the system on my 72 motor with the following pulleys, a triple groove crank pulley, saginaw pump, single pulley alternator and a double pulley water pump. I can see form the pics of yours that my double water pump pulley is different from yours. I think that'pulleys.jpgpulleys1.jpgs what you need to get to make this all work.

pulleys.jpg

pulleys1.jpg

The second picture the belt looks misaligned but that just a bow in the belt itself while slack, when i pull it taught it lines up fine.

The 2 groove crank pulley, and single groove water pump pulley worked for me on my non ac big block setup. But... I used a 2 groove alternator pulley to get the straight belt routing.
That single water pump pulley that I have doesn't line up with anything. If I can find triple that is shorter than the one I have, I think it will work. Thanks for the help guys! Because this is a truck motor the balancer is different. I was reading an article on 440source staying I will need a "custom" pulley set to work on a passenger car. Hopefully I find one at the yard today!

The 7" round X 6" deep chunk of steel waz $100.00 ten yearz ago and you don't wanna know what it cost to have a 3 grove crank pulley for my 440 cut out of that chunk. I'd suggest you KEEP LOOKING

68plymouth383 is correct in his setup and the belts are properly routed. Even though he's running a Saginaw pump the routing of the belts remains the same and surprisingly that PS belt is the right size for either a Federal or Saginaw pump even though the Federal has a smaller pulley.

68plymouth383 is correct in his setup and the belts are properly routed. Even though he's running a Saginaw pump the routing of the belts remains the same and surprisingly that PS belt is the right size for either a Federal or Saginaw pump even though the Federal has a smaller pulley.
The difference is out crank pulleys tho. Because this has the truck harmonic balancer I've got to find the right combo for it or get another balancer.

The difference is out crank pulleys tho. Because this has the truck harmonic balancer I've got to find the right combo for it or get another balancer.
I may have a four groove pulley here, that should do the trick, let me know if you bomb out at the yard. The fourth groove is closer to the balancer than the three groove unit.

Oh this game is getting fun! I picked up the 4 groove pulley from a motor home, it lines up with my power steering pump but is a bigger diameter so it voids the only water pump pulley I have that worked.

image.jpg

Back