Question about a connection on my carb

rsh1966vip

Reaction score
I took off the air cleaner to clean it up and paint it. I noticed a connection (see my finger pointing to the connection). This short line was and is not connected to anything. I am thinking vacuum hose, but if so where should it connect? The car seems to run fine just as it is. Need some comments. By the way I have no idea what kind of carb. this is.
Thanks, rsh1966vip

IMG_0821.jpeg

That is the "bowl vent" tube, which was designed to go to a carbon cannister to collect the vapors. Considering that the TQuad was designed in the emissions era, it had that tube rather than what prior carbs had for a bowl vent. No problem leaving it how it now is, unconnected.

Carb is a Carter ThermoQuad spreadbore carb. Similar in concept to the Rochester QuadraJet or the similar Motorcraft spreadbore carb . . . in throttle bore sizing only. The current Holley/Street Demon carb is an almost exact replica of the Carter ThermoQuad, but will bolt onto square bore and spread bore manifolds.

In TQuads, there were both OEM production carbs and also aftermarket carbs. As spreadbore carbs became popular in the later 1960s, they replaced the Carter AVS carbs on Chrysler 4bbl V-8s.

CBODY67

Should be a number stamped on the base plate at the rear drivers side near the mounting bolt to identify the exact model of TQ.

Thanks for the information. I knew I could count on you fellow to give me correct info. Now I can just clean up my air cleaner and paint it.
rsh1966vip

I took off the air cleaner to clean it up and paint it. I noticed a connection (see my finger pointing to the connection). This short line was and is not connected to anything. I am thinking vacuum hose, but if so where should it connect? The car seems to run fine just as it is. Need some comments. By the way I have no idea what kind of carb. this is.
Thanks, rsh1966vip

View attachment 576942
It is a vent as said and yes, it's supposed to be hooked to a charcoal cannister under the hood.

They started that in 1972... I've had Thermoquads on earlier cars and have just left it open with no problems. No need to connect it to anything.

Made with a plastic body, the black part, they can run great... until they have a problem. Most common problem is a hole in that plastic body.

Here is another question concerning my air cleaner. The air cleaner has a small hose running to the end of the air cleaner snout. My question is ....what is the function of the thing (see pic).
Next question: Where do I look to see the engine number on this 400 cu. in. Plymouth. I think maybe it is a early 1970's motor.

IMG_0827.jpeg

Here is another question concerning my air cleaner. The air cleaner has a small hose running to the end of the air cleaner snout. My question is ....what is the function of the thing (see pic).
Next question: Where do I look to see the engine number on this 400 cu. in. Plymouth. I think maybe it is a early 1970's motor.

View attachment 577253
Purpose is to maintain approx 100 degree air to the carb for emission requirements.

What year is the car? That air cleaner is wrong for a 400, as it is for a '69 or earlier.

Back