Question about square steel tubing - 1 7/8 mild steel

tallhair

Rufus T. Firefly
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys I need to repair my car trailer. I bent the jack dropdown extension. The bent piece is 1 7/8 OD mild steel square tubing. ID appears to be about 1 3/4. So pretty thin.

I’m having trouble sourcing locally and online. Anyone with suggestions or anyone have some scrap?

The jack came off an older grain wagon or something and is very HD and is welded on really good so hope to find the materiel to repair it instead of replacing the whole jack.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Hey Brian, tell me exactly what you want, I have lots of scraps. I do almost as much metal fab as I do wood.

Thanks Matt!,

Appreciate the assistance man

The part is 1 7/8 OD mild steel square tubing. 1 3/4 ID. 18 inches long. Holes are every 3.5 inches. Will try to get a good measurement on the adjustment holes and send a picture soon.

Last edited:
From my experience purchasing metals for work this is not going to be a piece of standard tubing. I ran into this when we tried to make a custom insert for a Jack on a project. The one we were doing was square so we had a local fan shop bend it up for us. I'd Must had it you will have found the proverbial hen's tooth.
An option could be this piece of tube from McMaster Carr. The OD is 1-3/4.
89955k189

From my experience purchasing metals for work this is not going to be a piece of standard tubing. I ran into this when we tried to make a custom insert for a Jack on a project. The one we were doing was square so we had a local fan shop bend it up for us. I'd Must had it you will have found the proverbial hen's tooth.
An option could be this piece of tube from McMaster Carr. The OD is 1-3/4.
89955k189

Thanks brother. Yeah I’ve been having problems finding it.

I’m working on uploading pics

having trouble with pic format. Will get them up as soon as I can. But have to go pick up my daughter first.

You looking for something like this?

qu41625_500.jpg

Back