Question about tyres!!

Golden Banana

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if 195-75-14 tyres are a good size for a 61 Polara for both front and back? I was thinking 195's for the front and 205's for the rear tyres, clearance issues?, your thoughts please, many thanks Kevin

Can anyone tell me if 195-75-14 tyres are a good size for a 61 Polara for both front and back? I was thinking 195's for the front and 205's for the rear tyres, clearance issues?, your thoughts please, many thanks Kevin

I show original tire size as 8.00-14. This roughly equates to a 203/90-14. With this in mind I'd be inclined to try a 215/75-14 or a 225/75-14 at both ends. Those should have overall diameters closer to what your car was born with and made for and I wouldn't expect there to be any clearance issues. I second the suggestion to try tirerack.com to see what's available.
Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Your clearance will be fine. You'll have a smaller profile up front with the 195's

I have ah question(or 3) for you Banana Dude. If you're running different sizez front and back which size do you carry in the trunk az ah spare?...And why would you run different sizez? If you want to run nose down a bit, or up you can "tweak" the torsion barz or jack the A$$ ah bit too yeah know, Jer

Hi guys thanks guys for your help, reason i asked about the two different tyre sizes is i have been offered whitewalls at both sizes at really good deals, by the feedback I'm pleased to hear that the tyre width the Polara was born with favours the 205's all round, the supplier may have wider tyres available now i know they have a chance of fitting!! I'm not sure whether the car is power steering pr manual steering, if its manual steering a skinnier tyre up front can make quite a difference in the effort required to turn the wheels, my Dodge a108 van being the example ...
I know this ain't no van! Ha ha! ......Jer im gonna use a wooden wagon wheel for a spare lol!

With this in mind I'd be inclined to try a 215/75-14 or a 225/75-14 at both ends. Those should have overall diameters closer to what your car was born with and made for and I wouldn't expect there to be any clearance issues. I second the suggestion to try tirerack.com to see what's available.
Hope this helps and good luck to you.

The car will ride very nice with either size tire listed. If you want just a little better handling, go with the 225's. You'll still have ton's of room left in the wheel well. Good Luck

For a 1961 Polara, I believe 195s would look silly up front - way too small, especially if radials. The tire height of radials is usually significantly less than bias plies of comparable size. For such a beautiful car, I would go with the 225s. Grow some muscle to cope with them - it would be worth it if the car really has manual steering. For a car that rare, I would not skimp because of price. When are you going to get the car - it has been a long time in the working as I recall? Good luck.

Thanks Stubs 300 good to know! I'm heading out to the states to pay for this car and there's,a ex London chap that now resides in Mohave AZ that can get these tyres in at a great price, me and my brother are going to meet up with him as he has an old late 40's pick up my brother might buy and we're road trippin up to Utah where i will be buying my 61 polara coupe, picking up some new rubber will be a bonus! Will keep you guys posted with pics when i get back to blighty .....she's a real beaut!!

I'll be in Utah around 27th of this month, hand over the money and start a checklist of parts i need to load the trunk with before i ship it over, i love my fusey coupes but this 61 is an awesome shaped car, don't worry ill be armed with my camera and will be happy to share them with you all, this one will get vip treatment you can be sure!
QUOTE=saforwardlook;276490]For a 1961 Polara, I believe 195s would look silly up front - way too small, especially if radials. The tire height of radials is usually significantly less than bias plies of comparable size. For such a beautiful car, I would go with the 225s. Grow some muscle to cope with them - it would be worth it if the car really has manual steering. For a car that rare, I would not skimp because of price. When are you going to get the car - it has been a long time in the working as I recall? Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Wow, we'll just miss you - we're going to be in Utah in a few weeks from now. If that 61 is located there (where in Utah if I may ask, out of curiosity?), then you at least you should have a very good chance of getting a pretty much rust free car. Although, on the negative side, Utah does use salt on its roads in the wintertime. I would definitely check out the undercarriage,wheel wells, etc.

Since we're discussing tire sizes, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask a question - I want bigger wheels on my Fury than 14s - I'm thinking maybe going with 16s. I wonder what size tires I should be looking at that would fit underneath/match the original radius', etc.?

Back