Question regarding Trunk and Passenger compartment floor replacements

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to tackle replacing sections of the floor in the interior and a good portion of the floor in the trunk.

My question is, I want to brace the car while I'm doing this, where should I put the braces and what should I use (Type of Metal stock).

Nick

Sorry. Not here. Never did it so I'd be speculating.
But... you're replacing just pans which do not contribute anything to the overall integrity of the main structure. Just be careful with the Sawzall and only cut out sheet metal without taking the structural parts with them.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
I wrote quite something that somehow got lost. Not familiar with extensive body work on these large topless unibodys, used to do some bodywork at a Mercedes dealership long ago, so if maybe someone more familiar will chime in.
Necessity of bracing also depends on the strength of the whole body structure like rust issues inside the rocker panels and their inner reinforcements for example and how large the sections you cut will be, if they extend to the inside rocker panel f.e.. I'd also do one piece after another, so the structure isn't weakened more than necessary.
First thing if bracing is needed would be both A-pillars, the B-pillar stumps from one side to the other plus an x-brace for the "door opening" . The back shouldn't be too much of a problem if the rear valance stays in again from experience with smaller cars with superior body structure.
I prefer doing body work if possible and no "collision repair frame" (don't know the proper word in English) or a similar construction with the car standing on its wheels and axles, cause otherwise you already have some bend that could be problematic for later alignment.

Last edited:
I prefer doing body work if possible and no "collision repair frame" (don't know the proper word in English) or a similar construction with the car standing on its wheels and axles, cause otherwise you already have some bend that could be problematic for later alignment.
You are quite right.
Never hang a new rear quarter with the car on the lift. The results on the ground are quite.... quite, um, how do you say it? Awful!!

Back