QUIET mufflers??

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I am getting the mighty New Yorker dialed in since I bought it in August. CBARGE has been a tremendous help along the way, and you other guys have been very helpful as well, I appreciate all the interest. The car is running well, and I'm working the bugs out slowly but surely. Kudos to Running Great auto shop in Tampa, and especially Dave Amann for his encylopedic knowledge of the C-bodies. Dave did a great front-end rebuild for me just couple of weeks ago.

NEXT ISSUE: I am probably one of the few old-car guys out there who does not like a loud exhaust. I don't mind a tailpipe burble, but even then I like it quiet. The NYer isn't too bad, but if someone could recommend quiet muffler(s) that I could bolt in myself, that would be most appreciated.

Rich in Tampa

113_0751.JPG

113_0755.JPG

113_0756.JPG

113_0692.JPG

I would consult a local seasoned long-time muffler shop for their opinion. Especially if they could be the ones doing the work.

Thanks Pete. But now that I have a lift, I want to save money and do the work myself. PLUS, I can attest that muffler shops don't really have much interest in working on these old cars.

To me, the OEM Walker mufflers have a nice sound but are quiet, too. Like they did when new. They do not overpower the great sounds a Chrysler B/RB engine makes when it's having fun, from my experiences.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

Thanks as always 67, I'll look in to those Walkers tomorrow.

NEXT ISSUE: I am probably one of the few old-car guys out there who does not like a loud exhaust. I don't mind a tailpipe burble, but even then I like it quiet.

Same here!

Dynomax super turbo mufflers are being advertised as the most quiet ones in the market.
I don't have any personal experience with them.

Whatever you choose I hope you'll be sharing the results here, for future reference.

Last edited:
Walkerexhaust.com great website. They have a find it by dimension icon. Look for Quiet Flow mufflers. The bigger the body the quieter the muffler. Any big body turbo would sound great at idle and all but disappear when cruising. I've got Turbos on my 75, I don't want it loud either. I wouldn't change the exhaust at all. AP exhaust offers a bunch of different turbos, but their website isn't as friendly. When i get to work I'll post a wall chart of their Turbo mufflers if you like.

There is a "C-body" size muffler "case" which goes from about 1965 to 1973 (and probably to 1978?) which is common to C-body Chrysler products. The only exception was in 1969 when the Dodge Polara 440/375 cars put the Street Hemi (same case size, but a bit shorter). That combination (along with 2.76 rear axle ratio and L78-15 police spec tires) allowed that combination to set the top speed record at the Michigan State Police Car tests which stood until it was slightly bested by then mid-1980s police-spec Camaros. Over 150mph. So that is an alternative of sorts, when used with a "spacer pipe" to make up for the shorter length.

Somewhere, about 1972, the Imperial mufflers were supposed to have the same restriction level as the Street Hemi mufflers, but in a C-body-sized muffler.

Check the inlet and outlet pipe sizes on your existing pipes and match them to the C-body-spec mufflers.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

@Richard Reau -- I also like a quiet exhaust, in my case because I like to drive my cars for hours at a time and a loud exhaust is tiresome and gets tiring very quickly.

I have had several very good experiences with Waldron in Michigan. I replaced the whole exhaust on Medina, my 1971 Monaco, with their "OEM" setup (they also sell "impostor" and "mild impostor" mufflers with louder sound profiles), and have enjoyed the car ever since. I now have ordered three entire exhausts from them, including one mild impostor for Snow White (one of my 1970 Polara 'verts; I went louder for fun because my plans for that car don't include much long-distance driving--I like enclosed cars for that purpose), and the Waldron quality is clearly there.

Their customer service is second to none -- the exhaust tip on the first pipe I ordered was 2 inches too long, and they replaced it promptly and at no cost.

Last edited:
Just to toss this out there... When I bought my 300, it had some really loud mufflers and to quiet it down, I added some cheap glass packs after the mufflers, like how a resonator is mounted at the tailpipe, and that quieted the car down until I replaced the system with a TTI exhaust. The TTI system included a Dynomax Turbo muffler and that has gotten a little noisier with time.

I don't think you will like the Turbo style muffler on your NewYorker. I bought some long length mufflers from Motivair. Motivair is a manufacturer and supplier of mufflers to most of the restoration exhaust sellers. They have the part number stamps for the real detailed restoration mufflers, but you can only buy the date/part number muffler from who is currently licensed to sell. Chrysler, Ford and GM number stamps.
I bought two 73 Imperial mufflers for my Imperial, 2.5" in and out. I am just finishing up the TTI install now, fits nice with some cuts on the tail pipe muffler connection because TTI has the pipe set up for the shorter Turbo Dynomax muffler.
I wanted quiet with improved flow. I will let you know how quiet or loud they are after I finish the install.
Here is a link to the Motivair site. I used the PF106 mufflers, but you can get most any custom muffler for your needs if you know what you want. They offer levels of loudness as well. Brad is the manager and good help.
Motivair Exhaust Canada Inc. - Custom & Universal Mufflers / Cross Sections, Resonators, Hot Rods

Here you go gentlemen, all AP exhaust's Turbo Mufflers. You'll have to zoom in for the sizes.

20220408_075739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet, drone free, look right: Accurate Exhaust ACM 55 Mufflers (2.5" In, 2.25" Out, or ACM 6885 2.25" In, 2.25" Out) and ACM 6053 Resonators. Absolutely NO DRONE, quiet but flow well.
Have these on my 70 R/T 440 Charger. If your an old fart like me you will love them.
Charger had Flowmasters on it when I bought it, they went straight in the bin

Waldron Exhaust. Home
I replaced the hatchet job dual exhaust on the Part barge ('65 Newport 383 2V) with the stock single from Waldron.
Great fit and quiet too. Here a couple of pics I took of their shop when I picked up the exhaust several weeks ago.

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

x3 on Waldron's.
I tried two sets of Walkers on 2.25" dual pipes downstream of my 440. Too damn loud, tinny, and drone. Their mufflers have no insulation.
Then I ordered a set of mufflers from Waldron's and I was very impressed, even before installation. They are insulated, long, and sound perfect.
I should have gotten pipes from them too, my local guy flubbed it and I still need to get all new pipes made by someone else....

I am going to stick with Motivair. Waldron's mufflers are Made in Canada?
Shipping from Ontario Canada might not make it worth the savings.

I too like the stock sound. I found the top-of-the-line Walker to work well. Don't forget to see if you car originally had a resonator.

Thanks guys for the information. I have some homework to do.

Back