R134a conversation/ ac condenser size?

64Imperial

Reaction score
Hey I'm completely redoing my heat only car to factory ac and heat. I have everything I need to install the original unit and I'm sending it away to be serviced.

My question is what ac condenser has anyone installed when using R134a? My opening size is 19 high by 23.5 wide.

Thank you!

Hey I'm completely redoing my heat only car to factory ac and heat. I have everything I need to install the original unit and I'm sending it away to be serviced.

My question is what ac condenser has anyone installed when using R134a? My opening size is 19 high by 23.5 wide.

Thank you!
Others should chime in regarding their experience. My opinion is to get the largest condenser that will fit in the area.
My experience regarding R-134a systems for vehicles is that the components are undersized.
I also will say that all of the components (compressor, evaporator, expansion valve, receiver/dryer and hoses) need to be like-sized for capacity. Do it right and you won’t regret it.

I used a 20 by 16 unit from Nostalgic AC Parts # 54-1620 on my 66 Monaco
Nostalgic AC - Aftermarket Air Conditioning For Automobiles

DSCF5487.JPG

DSCF6309.JPG

DSCF6310.JPG

DSCF6311.JPG

Condenser efficiency is a function of the cooling surface area. As a rule of thumb, you need about 30% more area with R-134a as opposed to R-12 to get the same performance. If the proposed replacement condenser has the same density of cooling fins, then it will need to be about 30% bigger. If there is a greater density of cooling fins, a unit of the same size might well suffice. It is also going to matter where you live and the ambient temperatures there. You need a pretty efficient unit to operate on the gulf coast due to the high heat and high humidity present there, so you would need that extra 30% capacity. If you lived in the high desert of Colorado, not so much.

Dave

Needs to be multi-pass and small tubes. All the lines should be small. 134 refrigerant is a small molecule, so there is alot of them to make weight (compared to large molecule of R12). The condenser and evap tubes should be small and many of them to transfer heat. The lines can be small because it runs at a higher pressure, and there is just no need to have a 1" suction hose.
Condenser should always be as large (area) as possible to give best chance for system to work in all conditions.

Needs to be multi-pass and small tubes. All the lines should be small. 134 refrigerant is a small molecule, so there is alot of them to make weight (compared to large molecule of R12). The condenser and evap tubes should be small and many of them to transfer heat. The lines can be small because it runs at a higher pressure, and there is just no need to have a 1" suction hose.
Condenser should always be as large (area) as possible to give best chance for system to work in all conditions.
How do you know all this technical **** all the time?
SMH

I used a 16 x 26 from Bouchillon.

Sorry, don't have a picture.

First I've heard about the 30% larger condenser. When I put a 6.1 in my 68 Charger, I purchased a new stock condenser along with a new drier and new expansion valve along with all new plumbing. The evaporator and controls are all stock parts. The 6.1 has the factory Compressor that came on the 2006 engine. The shop that did the plumbing vacuumed the system, added some oil and R 134 and it has worked perfectly since 2016. My car had AC originally so had the 26" radiator and condenser.
When you say you have everything you need to install the original unit, I assume you got the dash, with controls and under hood components. Did you also get the core support and radiator from the donor car? I'm thinking a 64 Imperial with AC would have had a 26" radiator.

How do you know all this technical **** all the time?
SMH
Reading. A/C stuff comes from my neighbor, Specialty Air, I would say about 95% of the trucks in western Pa. He and/or his shop have been through every one. A lot of the mining equipment in the area is serviced by his shop. Cars and RVs when not under warranty. He does not do manufacturer warranty work, too cheap. I have spent a lot of time over there and a bit of money. He loves trucks and farm equipment so if you want to BS with him a while just talk about those. He has helped me tremendously with truck stuff and attitude on dealing with repairs. One of his best lessons was if something is breaking keep heading for home. Shorter tow bill, and the parts are ruined anyway. If you make it use the money saved in the tow to start buying parts.
Reading and attention to detail is everything else. You also have to not dreamer the problem. It is a machine they all work the same. Stop dreaming up ways that your problem is different from all the others. It's most likely the simplest thing. Like how many times have we had new people on hear that have complexed their problem into a mountain, and then Big John fixes it in one sentence.
It's not rocket science, and even that is not difficult. Landing now that's a problem.
Back to A/C. Did you know the real reason for R12s end?
Charles Kettering VP at GM assembled a team to develop a refrigerant (cheap) the team brought in Dupont to help develop what became known as R12 while the original GM team had their names on the patent, once automobile A/C started to become more normal it was tweaked and Dupont ended up with it. So no matter what brand was on the bottle Dupont was getting a cut. When that patent was expiring in the 90s Dupont was on the edge of "Freon is bad for Ozone" and just so happened to have the patent on the most viable replacement R134a. Now we all know that 134 is now bad for environment as patent is running out and, wait for it...... Dupont holds the patent for R1234, and on top of that they made it non convertible meaning you cannot convert your R1234 system back to cheap 134a and you cannot convert your R12 or R134 to the sometime only one available R1234. Bravo to Dupont for making a product that gives way to the successor all while holding that patent close to the vest. I'm sure a retrofit will become available, but you can bet Dupont will have their hand out. Well played!

Last edited:
Reading. A/C stuff comes from my neighbor, Specialty Air, I would say about 95% of the trucks in western Pa. He and/or his shop have been through every one. A lot of the mining equipment in the area is serviced by his shop. Cars and RVs when not under warranty. He does not do manufacturer warranty work, too cheap. I have spent a lot of time over there and a bit of money. He loves trucks and farm equipment so if you want to BS with him a while just talk about those. He has helped me tremendously with truck stuff and attitude on dealing with repairs. One of his best lessons was if something is breaking keep heading for home. Shorter tow bill, and the parts are ruined anyway. If you make it use the money saved in the tow to start buying parts.
Reading and attention to detail is everything else. You also have to not dreamer the problem. It is a machine they all work the same. Stop dreaming up ways that your problem is different from all the others. It's most likely the simplest thing. Like how many times have we had new people on hear that have complexed their problem into a mountain, and then Big John fixes it in one sentence.
It's not rocket science, and even that is not difficult. Landing now that's a problem.
Back to A/C. Did you know the real reason for R12s end?
Charles Kettering VP at GM assembled a team to develop a refrigerant (cheap) the team brought in Dupont to help develop what became known as R12 while the original GM team had their names on the patent, once automobile A/C started to become more normal it was tweaked and Dupont ended up with it. So no matter what brand was on the bottle Dupont was getting a cut. When that patent was expiring in the 90s Dupont was on the edge of "Freon is bad for Ozone" and just so happened to have the patent on the most viable replacement R134a. Now we all know that 134 is now bad for environment as patent is running out and, wait for it...... Dupont holds the patent for R1234, and on top of that they made it non convertible meaning you cannot convert your R1234 system back to cheap 134a and you cannot convert your R12 or R134 to the sometime only one available R1234. Bravo to Dupont for making a product that gives way to the successor all while holding that patent close to the vest. I'm sure a retrofit will become available, but you can bet Dupont will have their hand out. Well played!
You through, now?... :poke:

Hey thanks everyone for your help and suggestions! Does a condenser need to be the size of the radiator hole? Or can it be over as long as it's away from the wall?

Back