Radiator Hoses-Which type is better?

Little Pete

Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts concerning the best type of radiator hoses to use?

This debate has probably been brought up many times.

Flexible ribbed hoses- Picture 1

or

Molded Rubber Hoses- Picture 2

I know it's important to have the springs in the hoses to prevent radiator hose collapse, especially on the lower radiator hose.

Though what do you recommend? I want to change mine because they are worn out.

Upper Radiator Hose.PNG

Molded Upper Radiator Hose.PNG

Last edited:
Does anyone have any thoughts concerning the best type of radiator hoses to use?

This debate has probably been brought up many times.

Flexible ribbed hoses (Which I believe are stock)- Picture 1

or

Molded Rubber Hoses- Picture 2

I know it's important to have the springs in the hoses to prevent radiator hose collapse, especially on the lower radiator hose.

Though what do you recommend? I want to change mine because they are worn out.

View attachment 194820

View attachment 194821

The stock hoses are the molded rubber ones and are the better choice if you can find them, less stress on the upper and lower hose bib for the radiator. Be sure if you use the molded hose on the lower to install the anti collapse spring native to the lower molded hose. Gates probably makes the best after market hoses with Dayco in a close second.

Dave

Thanks Dave. It's time to buy some new ones, looks like a trip to the auto parts store tomorrow. Maybe I'll check out RockAuto.

Thanks Dave. It's time to buy some new ones, looks like a trip to the auto parts store tomorrow. Maybe I'll check out RockAuto.

Those hose are probably a non-stocked item at most auto parts, suggest doing an E-bay search as they show up there fairly often.

Dave

I'll agree, NEW Gates are probably the best option in MOLDED hoses. Fluid flow in the molded hoses will always be better in the molded hoses than in the "universal" ones.

Depending upon the model year, the C-body hose is very similar to the B- and E-body upper hoses. Go into the Gates website and look in their online catalog FIRST. There should be some illustrations of the curves, bends, and such for each hose. They'll also probably have ink marks of where to cut for various applications.

RockAuto would be a good research tool, for pricing and availability. Finding or getting them locally might save time/money if things didn't fit just right, or whatever.

CBODY67

Agree with all advice given... the flex hoses are really only good for an emergency... you would be surprised how many have caused a radiator nipple to break free/leak. Impatience and laziness are the only excuses for using them for most cars.

My recall is that the upper and lower big block hoses for some of the late 60's C Bodys are the same as B Bodys and the reproduction B Body hoses fit just fine, at least in my 68 Furys.

Word of caution. Take your old hoses and go to the local stores to compare. The upper I bought fit fine, but the lower was nowhere near close. I posted pictures for a comparison somewhere a while back but cannot find them now.

I have always used Gates or NAPA molded. (Perhaps Gates makes the NAPA ones???) Good advice to go to the Gates website first to know what the correct number is before going to the part store.

I have always used Gates or NAPA molded. (Perhaps Gates makes the NAPA ones???) Good advice to go to the Gates website first to know what the correct number is before going to the part store.

I ordered both of the molded upper and lower Gates hoses from Rockauto for an A/C car. I'll let you know how they fit when they arrive.

For those of you that don't know-the springs in the lower hoses were only in there for ONE reason! To rapid vacuum fill on the assembly line! That's why the replacement hoses do not have them. AGAIN THE ONLY REASON!

For those of you that don't know-the springs in the lower hoses were only in there for ONE reason! To rapid vacuum fill on the assembly line! That's why the replacement hoses do not have them. AGAIN THE ONLY REASON!
Since you've decided to state that is "THE ONLY REASON", please provide a source to verify that information.

I do believe that the cooling system was rapidly filled on the line by pumping air out as the system was filled and the lower spring would obviously prevent the lower hose from collapsing. Having seen lower hoses collapse at higher RPM, I will continue to replace the spring myself and will advise others to also. I have also bought replacement lower hoses with the spring in them.

Where do you buy the lower radiator hose spring/ anti-collapse spring at i can't find it anywhere. My car doesn't have one since i bought it

Where do you buy the lower radiator hose spring/ anti-collapse spring at i can't find it anywhere. My car doesn't have one since i bought it
Good question.
I recently received my upper and lower, high quality Gates radiator hoses.. no spring in either hose.. and they are not as thick and rigid as I expected.

Since you've decided to state that is "THE ONLY REASON", please provide a source to verify that information.

I do believe that the cooling system was rapidly filled on the line by pumping air out as the system was filled and the lower spring would obviously prevent the lower hose from collapsing. Having seen lower hoses collapse at higher RPM, I will continue to replace the spring myself and will advise others to also. I have also bought replacement lower hoses with the spring in them.
What make, and from where? I haven't been able to find lower hoses with springs anywhere either.

What make, and from where?
I haven't seen them with the spring in them for many years, but I have bought them in the past (70's/80's) with the spring in the hose. Most likely, they were Gates hoses, as that's what the brand of belts/hoses that were carried by the folks I bought parts from back then.

My recall is that the upper and lower big block hoses for some of the late 60's C Bodys are the same as B Bodys and the reproduction B Body hoses fit just fine, at least in my 68 Furys.
When I needed rad hoses for one of my Chryslers with a 26" rad, I looked them up on either Gates or Dayco website. I was surprised to find that the upper hose part number also cross-referenced to Ford fullsize vans, so it was easy to get. The lower hose I think needed to be ordered in but it was definitely available.

This was for a '66 Chrysler with 26" rad and no A/C and using the original cast iron thermostat housing which angles towards the rad. Cars with A/C used a different thermostat housing with a neck that exits towards the passenger side to go around the compressor, and would need a different upper hose.

Back