Radiator replacement

FuryDan66

Reaction score
So looking for a replacement radiator for a 1966 Fury 3 with a 383. I'm seen some for a much as 1k or as little as 150.00. It's all stock and no need for a racing radiator you know. So what's everyone running and have you been happy with what you bought.
Dan

I run just a plain Jane copper repop of my original one - sold by Spectra. In the near future I’ll probably look about getting an aluminum one instead.

I used to buy the "332" Modines for my '70 Monaco 383. Great longevity and better than many recores I've seen. 332 is for the '70-style square-corner tanks. The '66s had the round tanks, but the same core dimensions.

The price differentials are extreme, depending upon where you get the radiators from. The Modines I used to get were about $250.00, in the later '70s and earlier '80s. No need for a fancy aluminum item as the factory style radiators worked just fine in those cars.

There's a thread on putting a 5.7L Gen III Hemi in a '68 Plymouth. A neat way to put the modern radiator in that car. Fit just right, when done, too. Some radiator hose adaptations were needed, though.

Don't spend more than you have to . . .. period. Shop around. Even see if a local auto supply can get you one for about the same price.

CBODY67

Dan, Our price range is right around $300 depending on the application. Quality rivals some of the high dollar quotes you are receiving. We're a sponsor of these forums. If you shoot me a PM, I can give you a price on one of our High Performance Aluminum Radiators.

So looking for a replacement radiator for a 1966 Fury 3 with a 383. I'm seen some for a much as 1k or as little as 150.00. It's all stock and no need for a racing radiator you know. So what's everyone running and have you been happy with what you bought.
Dan

So what about getting your original radiator repaired / re-cored? Or is it missing?

I can always take it in and see what it looks like but it does look like the original. I mean I could always have them test it and then just spray paint it that would work out so you know.

I can always take it in and see what it looks like but it does look like the original. I mean I could always have them test it and then just spray paint it that would work out so you know.

A good radiator shop will fully test it, repair it and paint it to look like OEM.

Re-coring is certainly an option. The fact that the car is stock would indicate you'd at least want to consider that. But there's a difference between stock driver versus an original unrestored numbers matching car. To me the answer to this question determines the course of action. If you have a very original car that you would like to keep very original as a priority, then a recore is the way to go. If you have a 'stock' car that you drive, are on a budget and aren't so worried about numbers matching, then the best solution is to get a new radiator that you can bolt in simply because the technology is better and less expensive then a quality recore. If you go the latter route, I recommend you still keep your original radiator just in case you ever decide to do a frame off numbers matching restoration.

Back