Radiator: Squirrels, Nuts, & Recore

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Not C-Body, but Dodge and hoping for help: I am facing replacing the radiator in my 1990 W150 pickup truck. I was thinking of using a van radiator that I have from a 1992 B350. The B350 radiator had been sitting in a corner of my garage. When I picked it up, I heard things rolling in the lower tank. It turned out to be pieces of acorns. Some animal took the time to bring its acorns in my garage and store a few of them in the lower tank of the radiator. The biggest of the nuts is pictured by the duct tape/heater hose contraption that I made to clean out the lower tank. It actually clogged the heater hose. Who knew that squirrels or chipmunks would make such effort to find a way up into a garage and store food in a lower radiator tank? Lesson learned: ports plugged until install.

My question is this: the van radiator does not have a shroud. I was thinking of running it until the summer, high temps in our area get into the 90s. In the meantime I was thinking of having the W150 radiator recored. L&S radiator, a local shop, quotes $300, which seems high, because you could buy a new radiator for that. What do you think is a fair price to recore a radiator? Or should I just buy a new one? No plastic tanks or glued components allowed. Thanks for your answers and recs.
20180109_113616.jpg

20180109_113725.jpg

L&S radiator, a local shop, quotes $300, which seems high, because you could buy a new radiator for that.

If the original is copper then $300 is not bad, and actually probably on the cheap side. If the original did the job right, then I would just re-core and be done.

Too easy to not just recore the original. No issues with fitment or shroud - all assuming you've got a quality repair shop.

I had to do an emergency radiator swap near Cbody Bobs place awhile ago when my original tank in my 1989 Dodge D150 blew a quarter size hole out the side of the top tank. After much stress and driving around in Bobs car we found one at an Advance Auto for $127 but is aluminum. Fit right in though and boy does it cool! It is a very efficient radiator and now after two years it is still going strong with no issues. I'm sure you can get the same radiator from another source for cheaper or wait for a coupon to get it cheaper. Worth looking into.

I have re-cored 2 rads now and would definitely recommend it. I paid $500CDN for the 66 and $390CDN for the 70 so your $300USD sounds about right.

Rockauto has one for under $85.00 plus shipping. Spectra makes a good product. For around $100.00 not too bad. Take your 2 copper radiators to a scrap yard and get back about half of your cost.

Last edited:
Yeah, hell, it cost me $400 to recore the radiator in my NY'er. Can't beat the quality and value of a recore and longevity of copper/brass. It's a 25 year solution, at least. Aluminum, maybe 10 years at most.

Thanks for all the input. I guess recore cost has gone up some since the last time I did it. I'll do some more work and update as I progress.

I bought 2 Formal 3 core radiators from Advance Auto Parts. I was surprised I could get them!

Thought I would update this thread, so there's an ending to the story. I decided to buy aluminum, all welded. I ordered this on ebay for $168
2 ROWS Aluminum Radiator 79-93 Dodge D150 D150,Ramcharger,W150 D150,W150 | eBay
Installed stock location with stock fan shroud. I had to use my old trans oil fittings with male/female adapters, because the fittings in the package were too small ID for my hoses. Radiator much lighter than original. No leaks on test drive. :thumbsup: Thanks for the advice, see below
20180124_140040.jpg

20180124_140050.jpg

20180124_163709.jpg

20180124_163738.jpg

20180124_163756.jpg

Back