Radio Needs Rebuilt

Wile E Coyote

Super Genius
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a company that rebuilds radios?

Imperial Radio.png

Do they convert, or do they do restoration to original?
That is an Aurora conversion, like the people at S&M are doing.

I have no personal experience with S&M, and they may be great. Gary Tayman has been fantastic to work with with my radios and gave me quite a bit of insight to the Aurora conversion as he worked with the designer with prototypes before the conversion came to market.

I do know that S&M went to Aurora conversions late in the game, staying with a previous vendor's troublesome conversion. I had one of those conversions myself (installed by a PA vendor via the PO) and it wasn't near as good as the Aurora conversion.

Do they convert, or do they do restoration to original?
One thing about S&M, they do have a complete line of GM replacement speakers. That's pretty impressive. The Mopar speakers look to be generic pieces though.

One thing about S&M, they do have a complete line of GM replacement speakers. That's pretty impressive. The Mopar speakers look to be generic pieces though.

Speaking of speakers. . . I need to buy a rear speaker for my '66 convertible. It is a 5 X 7 and resides behind a chrome nacelle located high in the middle of the back seat. I'm going for a stock spec speaker that would hopefully be compatible with a Tayman conversion down the road. The question is: should I buy a 2-ohm, 4-ohm or 8-ohm speaker? I don't know what the OHM spec is for my stock AM radio, but it would be nice if the speaker I buy would work with both my stock AM radio and future Tayman-conversion. Anyone have any info on this?

Speaking of speakers. . . I need to buy a rear speaker for my '66 convertible. It is a 5 X 7 and resides behind a chrome nacelle located high in the middle of the back seat. I'm going for a stock spec speaker that would hopefully be compatible with a Tayman conversion down the road. The question is: should I buy a 2-ohm, 4-ohm or 8-ohm speaker? I don't know what the OHM spec is for my stock AM radio, but it would be nice if the speaker I buy would work with both my stock AM radio and future Tayman-conversion. Anyone have any info on this?
This thread does: What do guys use for rear speakers

Back