Radio Static

Rooster34

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I haven't posted in a bit but I hope you are all well! Got Ethel out a could weeks ago even though we still have some chilly nights. I had my new upper ball joints and control arm bushings installed along with a new steering box with tighter ratio from firm feel and an alignment, next will we my squad wheels with new tires! Anyway shortly after I got the vehicle back from the shop my radio signal has gone to crap and is mostly staticits nothing the shop did but I am thinking it is the ignition coil capacitor causing the issue. I had my dizzy rebuilt last year and curved and had a new coil sent along with it. Anyway I have attached a photo from the service manual and I'm wondering where I can find one of these things. I'm pretty sure the capacitor that is on there is the original. Thank you in advance

Roost

20220429_134339.jpg

Is this on the AM band?

Usually, most static from the ignition will vary with engine speed and mostly on the AM band.

Did you replace the plug wires? Solid core wires will give you static.

Hey Big John, yes I replaced the wires but the radio has been fine and yes it is an AM band only radio for a 1965 fury II. The issue suddenly happened yesterday or the day before and it was completely fine before. I get my oldies station and others not I only get one and it hardly comes in. When I am tuning the radio and drive some freqs will have the whinning and will change pitch with the rpms

Could be a failing plug wire. The shop may have ruffed them up doing the upper control arms and alignment. Check them out. Pull the car out in the dark and see if any are arcing and causing lightning bolts From spark escaping.

Plug wire(s) could be loose (or damaged like 413 mentioned)

Since it just started, I'd look for something like that. Just make sure they are all connected to the cap and plugs.

Ok, will do. They radio worked for a few days when I picked it up from them, but that doesn't mean anything really. I'll checkmit.oit tonight when it get dark and pull it in my shop

If it's a plug wire issue, then putting the hood down vs. up will make a noticeable difference. Quieter with the hood down and shielding the antenna from the plug wire "noise". BUT none of that relates to signal strength, which is the sole responsibility of the antenna lead-in cable. Is the outside antenna raised to its normal height or will raising it higher make a difference in the reception?

Might be that an internal connection between the center wire in the cable and the connector which plugs into the radio has separated or degraded. Might also be that it's been leaning toward that situaiton a good while, but finally happened.

The other thing is that sometimes, atmospheric conditions can interfere with radio reception. Sometimes things are different during the day than at night, by observation, as some AM stations decrease their signal power at sundown until sunrise.

My suspicion is an aged lead-in. How far away is the transmitter from the vehicle's location, with what type of terrain in-between?

Just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67

So I just checked in my shop with lights shut out, and there is no arcing happening at all, I also checked wires to make sure they were all connected.
If it's a plug wire issue, then putting the hood down vs. up will make a noticeable difference. Quieter with the hood down and shielding the antenna from the plug wire "noise". BUT none of that relates to signal strength, which is the sole responsibility of the antenna lead-in cable. Is the outside antenna raised to its normal height or will raising it higher make a difference in the reception?

Might be that an internal connection between the center wire in the cable and the connector which plugs into the radio has separated or degraded. Might also be that it's been leaning toward that situaiton a good while, but finally happened.

The other thing is that sometimes, atmospheric conditions can interfere with radio reception. Sometimes things are different during the day than at night, by observation, as some AM stations decrease their signal power at sundown until sunrise.

My suspicion is an aged lead-in. How far away is the transmitter from the vehicle's location, with what type of terrain in-between?

Just some thoughts and experiences,
CBODY67
So this was checked with the antenna all the way up and when I put the antenna down the weaker the reception gets. The atmosphere has been windy, and rainy at times lately but that doesn't seem to affect it all that much. The transmitter is only about 7 or 8 miles away and the terrain is fairly flat with some foot hills going up where the transmitter is located. The difference in elevation is between 150 to 175 feet and the transmitter has the high ground from where I am located.

Coil capacitor it is for sure, AM only. I have some universal ones and a few NOS but need a part number for the one you have should be on the back.

Awesome, I will look for the part number it may be a little tough to see, ill have it for you today hopefully, donyou need the specs for the coil as well?

Coil capacitor it is for sure, AM only. I have some universal ones and a few NOS but need a part number for the one you have should be on the back.
Actually you are the one that rebuilt and curved may dizzy and sent me the new coil last year!

Glad it worked out. I should have one aftermarket universal for sure. I guess you are a AM news junkie like I am!

Glad it worked out. I should have one aftermarket universal for sure. I guess you are a AM news junkie like I am!
I am, and I like the oldies station which no longer comes in but hopefully that is the fix part number is 2197674 there is another number below and that is 6445

Let me see what I have. Probably opened up if it shorted the car would not run. Give me a few

I did an ohms test and it's not getting anything for a reading. I don't have a capacitor tester so this means it's open and dead correct?

I did an ohms test and it's not getting anything for a reading. I don't have a capacitor tester so this means it's open and dead correct?
You are correct in that a resistance test will produce meaningless results, especially a digital meter. Like the link above describes, you may get a deflection with an analog ohmmeter, but it only demonstrates possible capacitance.

All I have is a later NOS mopar one same style will work and these NORS replacements.
If you want one PM me

DSC01115.JPG

So I just tried tuning to the AM station in my 2017 Ram and it isn't evening coming in there, I al almost wondering if their transmitter is down, im going to call them. I tested with an analog meter on the ohms setting and got no deflection whatsoever, it stayed at the infinity symbol.

If you cannot tune out the radio noise with the key in the accessory position with the engine not running, it isn’t your condenser. More likely the antenna or station.

Back