Re-pop Bendix Brake Booster

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm going to be converting my front drum brakes to disc brakes on my 65. I have been looking for a great replacement brake booster. I came across this

1970-74 Mopar Cuda E-Body & 1971-74 B-Body OE Style Brake Booster & Master Kit | eBay

So here is my question. Will it bolt up to my 65? I did go to their website. They list a bunch of options.

PB8536-2 - 1971-1974 B&E Body Mopar Bendix Style Brake Booster
PB8536-1 - 1966-1970 Charger Mopar B Body Bendix Style Power Brake Booster
1959-1971 Early Model Dodge D100/ D200 & Chrysler Full Size Car

I called them to find out some information about them and the salesman told me not to waste my money and I can use my drum booster with a disc master. He said it would not be in issue and should work fine. From what I read before on this forum is that I would need to have a disc booster as well as a disc/drum master.

Just for reference the disc kit that I will be running is:
Mopar C Body Front Disc Brake Conversion Original 4 Piston
I would go their entire kit with booster, but I called and it requires the use of manual brake firewall (toe Plate) mounting plate. I figure if it requires that it might require a manual brake pedal.
Mopar C Body Power Front Disc Brake Conversion Original 4 Piston

Hopefully the vast knowledge of this forum can help me figure it out.

Thanks

Eric

That salesman is INCORRECT. Do NOT continue using the drum booster... while it will work fine for most situations it will fall down on really hard stops - just when you need it the most.

Don't do it.

The repop Bendix booster is made for B body and smaller cars. C body Bendix Boosters are slightly larger.

I believe the repop will bolt up and work, but I cannot speak as to whether it works well enough.

I would source the correct booster.

Why that kit? Have you looked into the Scarebird conversion kit; 1963-72 Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler "C" body with 4-1/2" bolt pattern front disc

Have you considered using '70 - '73 Spindles and use a disc brake conversion that uses Chrysler parts?

If you want to go with the conversion kit that you listed, I would suggest using a disc brake master cylinder and booster for a '73 C Body and I would recommend buying new components vs. rebuilt parts, especially with the master cylinder.

I have the older Scarebird conversion kit on one my cars. It uses '73 C Body rotors and calipers and it was the best thing I did to that car.

Bill

The drum brake booster WILL NOT work well with the disc's. One or two stops and the power boost is gone.

I converted to disc's on Jazabelle, (69 300), and installed a remanufactured drum booster with not acceptable results. I finally located a C-body bendix booster and the difference is night & day.

I do have a bendix booster and master cylinder removed from a Dodge 1 ton motorhome that I was going to try, just needed to drill the plate for the mount plates. Avaliable if needed.

Back