Re-using a Headliner?

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
So I have a great headliner out of Project Sidetrack 2, and I'd love to use it in my Polara. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and what tips they might have to help me among the way. I realize patience will be my greatest all. I have the FSM so I know the steps to follow. I'm assuming the factory used a piece with extra material that I will not have. I've taken as many pictures to help me remember what I did. I worked from the rear forward when taking it out.

Whatever tips or techniques you can share would be helpful. Or if I'm just gonna have a hell of a time getting it right, or it won't work at all, chime in and say so.

IMG_20170713_150734.jpg

IMG_20170713_150723.jpg

Just wanna say be careful. Real easy to pull the seams apart, most of those fail for that reason. However, if I can sew up a new one using the old one as a pattern and install it successfully then you should be able to reuse one.

Just wanna say be careful. Real easy to pull the seams apart, most of those fail for that reason. However, if I can sew up a new one using the old one as a pattern and install it successfully then you should be able to reuse one.
You added extra around the edges, right?

And yeah, I was careful, this one feels really nice though, better than most I've come across.

No, I wasn't that smart - I cut the new to match what came out.
Ok, that makes me feel better. Just take my time, follow the FSM (simple and straightforward) and enjoy it when it's done.

I still have to take the old headliner out of the Polara, so I'll get another chance to look at how it's on, in case I missed something on Sidetrack 2. I've wanted a better headliner for over a decade, I can wait a few more days (weeks).

Oh man, you would ask that. I did this back in I think the summer of 80? Pretty sure I dropped all the trim around the windows, I don't think you can get one in/out without that but I doubt I took off the trim for the outer edge with the door/window gaskets. The hardest part was trying to learn to run the sewing machine - wife wasn't gonna sew it but she did give me a quick lesson how to work it. However, that was a long time ago and I can't remember what I ate last week, so you takes your chances counting on me for accuracy.

Oh man, you would ask that. I did this back in I think the summer of 80? Pretty sure I dropped all the trim around the windows, I don't think you can get one in/out without that but I doubt I took off the trim for the outer edge with the door/window gaskets. The hardest part was trying to learn to run the sewing machine - wife wasn't gonna sew it but she did give me a quick lesson how to work it. However, that was a long time ago and I can't remember what I ate last week, so you takes your chances counting on me for accuracy.
I knew you'd come through for me! :poke:

Back