Real bumper bolts,1/2” do they exist? ‘68

HWYCRZR

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered some 1/2 x1-1/2” stainless capped (1-1/8” diameter)bumper bolts for my re-chromed bumpers on my ‘68 Polara. I noticed two things that I did not like.
First the heads were bulbous, meaning they were not as flat as the originals.
Second the square shank is about twice to three times longer than the original meaning they interfere with the brackets. Has anyone found a source for original style bolts? I am coming up short on e-bay and other places.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks, I will have to call on Monday, I only see 3/8” x1” listed on the site.

The "larger" ones are probably more '50s-era than later model, I suspect. Bumper bolts aren't nearly as generic as many might suspect.

CBODY67

The ones you bought are GM bumper bolts. Check with some fastener dealers such as Fastenal.

I couldn’t find them on the fastenall site, but probably could stop by. I also checked my local auto body supply distributor. They only had the same large ones I ordered. Partsmix.com did not have them, but said they would check around.

I bought some at the local hardware store. They had a whole stack of "chrome" with all kinds of chrome not stainless. The heads are a bit higher and I had to buy galvanized nuts to clear the chrome threads.

I just got a reply from partsmix. He found some 1-1/4” long that do not have as large of a dome but have the 1-1/8 diameter head. He says that the flat top ones are no longer in existence.

Holy Crap HWYCRZR? My Fastener Catalog from Mr 'G's in Fort Worth, Tx. iz a 2003 addition, but even if it'z double that price you're still under $5 Per Each for the Thin Head 1/2-13X1 3/8 bolts S.S. CAP BUMPER BOLTZ. Part# FA1044H. Call 'um at : 817-831-3501 tomorrow. Check it on their Web Site at: www.mrgusa.com Jer

Thanks all. I ordered from Mr. G’s. From the picture they look spot on. Maybe just a little more domed than the original, but a lot flatter than the carriage bolt style. Also the smaller shoulder. I will post pictures of the new ones when they arrive.
6144DF74-CAB8-4895-8B44-D4968D10D737.jpeg
BE891C32-1E77-41B2-8FDC-AB0AA9ACD5D8.jpeg

Received my bumper bolts from Mr. G’s.
They are pretty close. Head size is the same. The square shoulder is not quite as deep, but should be fine. Head has a little more dome than the original, but is much flatter than the carriage bolt style I got online a few weeks ago.
I think it will be very hard to tell the difference once I get them on.
5957D8B5-A4C8-4CBD-AB28-E49C164F3D7D.jpeg
58E79633-8C55-490E-A02F-4A87695BB9E5.jpeg
B6A8E8DB-7EA5-414E-802C-D424A5593E4B.jpeg

Thank you much Jer.
I got the heat on and need to get to work May is coming.

Thank you much Jer.
I got the heat on and need to get to work May is coming.
You're very welcome lol. BTW, Are you old enough to remember January in the winter of '78? I spent ah miserable weekend across the river in Moorhead that January. -40 actual with ah 25 MPH wind blowing. check that one out on your wind chill chart. LaCross, Wi. hit -65 actual that weekend. If you were on the planet and old enough to remember I'm sure you do? Yes come on May, Jer

I lived in Montana at the time and was in 5th grade. ‘78 or ‘79 had to take the snowmobile to the Hwy to get to town and use the neighbors D6 cat to plow roads through the fields to get the pickup to the Hwy. When the county finally got out to plow our road the drift by our tree row was higher than the cab on the grader.
Fargo is much colder than most places in Montana.

I lived in Montana at the time and was in 5th grade. ‘78 or ‘79 had to take the snowmobile to the Hwy to get to town and use the neighbors D6 cat to plow roads through the fields to get the pickup to the Hwy. When the county finally got out to plow our road the drift by our tree row was higher than the cab on the grader.
Fargo is much colder than most places in Montana.
Fun huh?

Received my bumper bolts from Mr. G’s.
They are pretty close. Head size is the same. The square shoulder is not quite as deep, but should be fine. Head has a little more dome than the original, but is much flatter than the carriage bolt style I got online a few weeks ago.
I think it will be very hard to tell the difference once I get them on.
View attachment 267363 View attachment 267364 View attachment 267365

IMHO those are not the correct bumper bolts. They have a rounded "GM style" head vs the "pan head" style that Chrysler used. I think they sent you the wrong ones. Chrysler used stainless caps.

Back