Really HOT!!!! fan speed lever

Reaction score
76 NYB - Thought my fan speed switch was bad because the fan would occasionally change speeds with the switch but would get REALLY HOT.
I replaced the switch and the fan works in all speeds now, BUT, still gets REALLY HOT!!!
So hot it hurts to touch.
Afraid of burning wires, is there something else involved?
I'd like to use the AC, Vent or Heat, it only happens when turned on.

I say there's high resistance in the blower motor itself causing the switch to get hot, but I don't know electrics that well either. Good Luck

Definitely an indication of too high of a current draw. Likely due to a bad motor, also check all connections as a bad connection can cause problems. Yes it can cause problems if used so I would recommend addressing this ASAP.

Well, I reread your post. If the fan is changing speeds on it own, there's your problem! How hot's the fan motor when you do this? Also check wiring.

Before I changed the switch the fan would change speeds on its own.
Now with the NEW switch I can control the speed and it remains constant.
The metal toggle of the switch just gets very HOT.

Before I changed the switch the fan would change speeds on its own.
Now with the NEW switch I can control the speed and it remains constant.
The metal toggle of the switch just gets very HOT.
On a guess, the old switch was probably damaged by this condition. Keep using it as is, and you'll likely damage the replacement... or burn the car down.

Enjoy the blower removal. It isn't really that bad to remove inner fenders, but it isn't that much fun either.

Back