rear end ID help

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Mopar fans,

First visit on the rear end of the 55 Windsor/300 project.
I understand most were 8 1/4 rear ends, but unsure of myself here,
as it resembles the 8 3/4 a bit, and does not match the google results for 8 1/4 rear end.

Thanks,
Mike

rear end 1.jpg

rear end 2.jpg

Looks like an 8 3/4 rear, perhaps it was retrofitted? One way to check is to look for a casting date on the housing. I don't know if 55s ever got an 8 3/4, but others here will. MyMopar dot com says they were introduced in 1957... so, it's likely a retrofit.

In 1965, the design of how the axles were held in place in 8 3/4 rears was changed to permit easier servicing. A sure fire way to know if it's a later rear end is to see if you need a puller to remove the drums. If if you don't, then the assembly was made no earlier than late 64 for use in 65, or later vehicles. If it needs a puller to remove drums to service the axles, then it's a 57-64 design.

All in all, I think it's a retrofit axle assembly though.

What vehicle is that? Interesting shock plates are on upside down and shocks in front of axle.

It looks like and 8 3/4. Count the nuts and studs holding it in. Are there 10 or 11?
The yoke looks like a U-bolt type, but it has Straps nuts and studs.

What vehicle is that? Interesting shock plates are on upside down and shocks in front of axle.

It looks like and 8 3/4. Count the nuts and studs holding it in. Are there 10 or 11?
The yoke looks like a U-bolt type, but it has Straps nuts and studs.

It is a 1955 Windsor. However, it was purchased as an abandoned project. The rear springs have been replaced w/ 300 springs. Perhaps the shop that did that flipped the shock plates. I will check with Chrysler 300 Club resource on that & my shop manual. Thanks for catching that. I'll report back on both items.

Thanks,
Mike

Clearly a 8.75. If you clear that gunk off of the third member you can read/see which one it is. Number like this will appear:

IMG_0003.JPG

What type of axles? Look at the ends amd the hubs, do they have the nut and cotter pins? Or flat ends?

Back