Rear heat/AC

1966Satellite

Reaction score
In the early '70's I owned a '68 New Yorker that had heat and ac for the back seat. A few years ago I purchased a '66 Plymouth Satellite that had dealer installed rear heat/ac. It was mounted to the package tray. Does anyone know if this could be the same system used in the New Yorker? Here are some pictures of it. I don't plan to put it back in the Plymouth so I will sell it if anyone is interested.

IMG_1320[12196].JPG

IMG_1321[12195].JPG

IMG_1322[12197].JPG

IMG_1323[12194].JPG

IMG_1324[2305843009218889674].JPG

Kinda looks after market to me. I had a '67 Imperial and a '73 Imperial with factory rear air. Looked nothing like that. Not saying it won't work but I'm pretty sure it's not factory.

I suspect that if it had been a factory option, it would not have had the "Clutch ON/OFF" buttons as the EPR valve would have been in place to keep the core from freezing up. Probably should have been some Pentastar imprints/stamps somewhere on the item (especially the serial number tag) if it had anything to do with Chrysler AirTemp, back then.

Still an interesting item! Would look more integrated in the car, unlike a "hang down" under-dash a/c (unless you're talking about pre'65 model year full-size Fords).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I suspect that if it had been a factory option, it would not have had the "Clutch ON/OFF" buttons as the EPR valve would have been in place to keep the core from freezing up. Probably should have been some Pentastar imprints/stamps somewhere on the item (especially the serial number tag) if it had anything to do with Chrysler AirTemp, back then.

Still an interesting item! Would look more integrated in the car, unlike a "hang down" under-dash a/c (unless you're talking about pre'65 model year full-size Fords).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I found the owner information book for the unit. It is a Mark IV trunk air conditioning system. It has a clutch ON/OFF button. It is air conditioning only. The two fittings that I thought were for water are just condensate drain holes. The car had factory air conditioning. The trunk air conditioning was installed by the dealer.

Back