Rear leaf springs

Castle

Reaction score
looking for opinions... I am replacing rusty old saggy leaf springs on my 68 newport. It has a 2 barrel, without a sure grip rear end... just a cruising car. I am trying to decide if there is any benefit to getting a HD 7 leaf spring, or if I should just stay with the stock 6 leaf spring.... I am not towing anything, ever, with this car. Thanks, in advance, for any input!

I'd just stay with the stock setup, but others may have a different opinion. As well, I'd inquire with the local spring shop on having yours re-arched and their opinion on having an extra leaf added, as this will accomplish what you're hoping for and add a bit of heavy duty aspect.

A96MdjYSHLyeU4-gS0rHms2_Z-Kj6DGYggTE6ZnDhRT5Ku1Zk-9_qmsqbgqNLxINqQ4D5onNbebgcn8QQA=w1158-h869-no.jpg

This is my ride height with HDs.
EqZejHPjzD3_gh1bk070W_8ERdGjeXlXmXWa8CXI05dN8n3QcVO0M_Mp5BNOfRnJL3x9V0V0N-7NOd4UOx=w1158-h869-no.jpg

This is with old springs.

bEsLhrKvZ_9JsrEwdeNX2YA4QoBWLGpBRQukNzUzmpud-oUT_IZGAiiEHPb4zOh4-hPqUpB_nDGW-JniR1=w1158-h869-no.jpg

Stay with the stock type springs. IMHO, it's better to buy new than having them rearched.

A lot of us have bought new springs at this place and have been very happy. Buy Quality Automotive Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Suspension Parts for your Classic or Antique Auto

John is right. Staying with the stock springs, you will find that with the car riding level as it was designed to do, it will handle better and have less body roll. Also you will improve tire wear. After you get the new springs installed, be sure to have a front and alignment done as the new springs will likely throw off the caster adjustment. If the front ride height was messed with to compensate for weak rear springs, a torsion bar adjustment may also be needed.

Dave

I got mine from a local shop when I was in Chicago, it does sit a little higher in the back. But it gives it a nice rake! Good Luck

I went with New springs from Eaton, They had the extra leaf for a little added weight capacity, but the stock height. I also wanted a little firmer ride feel. The car now sits exactly at the factory height. I bought springs from ESPO a few years ago for my Belvedere, and the car looked like it had a cord of wood in the trunk when I lowered it down on the springs. They finally got me a new set, but didn't want to take the chance and go through the hassle again of having the car sit on jack stands for 1/2 the summer while they fixed them.
If you go with new springs, make sure you also replace the shackles, U-bolts and hardware. It's not something you want to take apart again for squeaking bushings.

B body shackles and bushings will bolt right on. They are only 1\4 inch shorter.
I got the last NOS C body main leafs and built them up to 7 leafs.
I do travel and the trunk is usually loaded
20180903_115727_Film4.jpg

How's the ride with the HD springs vs stock?
Definitely much stiffer, I only have about 1000 miles on them so I am hoping they loosing up a bit. I like the look of the rake and that is what I was after. Future plans do include a hitch for a small pop up, but we shall see.

7 leafs...B body rear shackles..Fully loaded for bear..
20180712_125241.jpg

And when empty...
20180726_181649_Film4.jpg

Rides smooth both ways. Never bottomed out even on rough highways of the Maritimes and U.S. Eastern seaboard.
Shocks are NORS AC Delco "Pleasurizers.
BoaB november 2017 003.JPG

Last edited:
Back