Rear Seat Belts '65 NYer

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the rear seat belts attached to the loops in the floor under the back seat?

113_0625.JPG

Rather than bolts, they probably used an interlocking attachment, where the end of the belt had two pieces (r & l) which rotated toward each other and locked when installed, apparently to the installed loops.

There should be an illustration in the FSM, I suspect.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Thanks 67, from what I can glean from the service manual, those loops are for use with the front shoulder belts. But my manual is a 1967 manual.

Thanks mopar440, the manual does show a hook end on the belt, with a spring clip to hold it on the loop. So where could a guy find 4 turquoise belts with those hooks?

Our '66 Newport has factory rear seat belts and they bolt to the floorpan.

Seems like '65 was the first year for the shoulder belt option. Probably few vehicles produced with it as they strung all the way to the back seat, rather than how the later versions were attached?

Last edited:
My '65 Barracuda, that has the optional rear belts. These are the original belts.

WzRBjcP.jpg

I had some replacement belts made and they didn't come with that style end, so I had them add these (or something like these) to them rather than change the hardware. Make sure the slot is correct width... I just grabbed the first one I found. Look for seat belt racing clip on eBay.

And! If you need replacement front seat belt bolts, early Mustang repop bolts are perfect and a lot cheaper. IIRC, the hole in the '65 belts is larger than the later belts.

Seat Belt End Race Harness Clip In 5 4 3 Point Steel Mounting Tab For Eyebolt C | eBay
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
@azblackhemi & @CBODY67 - Chris and Willis - are those for shoulder belts too? I would LOVE to add factory shoulder belts for the front seats in both my cars, but I've not been able to find ANY information on the option and how it was installed and used, other than it was "available" and very rare. I assume then that the shoulder belt was stowed above the window opening along the roof rail/headliner area, with some sort of spring clip and the sunvisor buckle mount. What I don't know is how it is held in place to get up there - and then come back down over the driver and or passenger front seat.

I know that later C body cars used a bolt welded along the roof rail structure to mount the shoulder belt rather than the floor, except in convertibles. My old 72 Bel Air Sport Coupe had a similar arrangement, and I got very good at stowing and retrieving the shoulder belt from the headliner area - when many just let them hang down, which looks ugly in my opinion.

Do either of you have any info?

Thanks everyone for your responses. The seat belts I bought online weren't set up with the buckle like the one shown by Big John. So, I unscrewed the loop and discovered it was basically just a fine-threaded nut. I simply used it as a nut. Cue the naysayers.

113_0633.JPG

113_0634.JPG

Whatever works . . . might want to put a large diameter flat washer under it, though.

Yes, the factory already had a 2" washer on the backside, I just re-used it.

Thanks everyone for your responses. The seat belts I bought online weren't set up with the buckle like the one shown by Big John. So, I unscrewed the loop and discovered it was basically just a fine-threaded nut. I simply used it as a nut. Cue the naysayers.

View attachment 495802

View attachment 495803
You want people to die!!!!???? Cause thats how you die....lol

Back