rear seat removal

1966 t and c

Reaction score
Got the front seat out of the 66 T&C to have a small tear repaired in the otherwise really great condition original seat covers. Thought I would take the back seat out while the fronts out and shampoo the carpet and hopefully find a build sheet. Any tips on the process for getting the back seat out.

Push down hard on one side of the rear seat at the start of the corner radius of the lower cushion (about 6'' from the edge of the lower seat cushion) and push back on the cushion toward the rear of the car. Now grab the bottom edge of the cushion and pull it upward towards the front of the car, this should disengage the seat from the capture point on the floor. You will need to repeat this process on the other side of the lower seat. Once both sides are free of the floor, you can remove the lower cushion. The upper cushion is held in place by two bolts on the lower edge of the top cushion on each corner. This works for two and 4 door sedans and hardtops. I think the rear seat on some wagons is a folding one piece unit that has to unbolted from the floor of the car. There is a hinged floor plate attached to the back of the second seat with screws, remove the hinged plate to access the bolts at the rear of the second seat. Once the rear bolts are removed, you should be able to rock the front of the seat clear of the capture point on the front edge of the lower seat cushion. If memory serves me correctly, some lower cushions on the wagons also came out the same way as the two and four doors, you will have to determine which system your car uses.

Most of the time you will find your build sheet either under the springs of the lower cushion or under the springs on the top cushion.

Dave

Last edited:
Push down hard on one side of the rear seat at the start of the corner radius of the lower cushion (about 6'' from the edge of the lower seat cushion) and push back on the cushion toward the rear of the car. Now grab the bottom edge of the cushion and pull it upward towards the front of the car, this should disengage the seat from the capture point on the floor. You will need to repeat this process on the other side of the lower seat. Once both sides are free of the floor, you can remove the lower cushion. The upper cushion is held in place by two bolts on the lower edge of the top cushion on each corner. This works for two and 4 door sedans and hardtops. I think the rear seat on some wagons is a folding one piece unit that has to unbolted from the floor of the car. There is a hinged floor plate attached to the back of the second seat with screws, remove the hinged plate to access the bolts at the rear of the second seat. Once the rear bolts are removed, you should be able to rock the front of the seat clear of the capture point on the front edge of the lower seat cushion. If memory serves me correctly, some lower cushions on the wagons also came out the same way as the two and four doors, you will have to determine which system your car uses.

Most of the time you will find your build sheet either under the springs of the lower cushion or under the springs on the top cushion.

Dave
Thanks alot Dave

Back