Rear Seat Replacement 72 Fury 2 Door

Moseman

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
To All,

I may be opening myself up to some interesting comments. I really want to put this rear seat in my 72 Fury. (they match the buckets going in front) However, I am conflicted as to how to make the seats look right in the car. (Odds are 100 to 1 there never will be someone sitting in the back seat) The current rear seat measures 58 inches across the back top. These seat show a measurement of 53 inches. What should I do with the 2 1/2 inches of open space between the seat and the side panels? (2 inch mini tubs would fill the void nicely, but I do have then the problem of the side panels.) Or do I just run carpeting up the sides to the package tray?
s-l1600.jpg

From an engineering perspective, how do the proposed seats anchor to the body/floorpan? To me, that would be a big consideration!

You'll need some sort of "board" to go behind the seat, against the body braces to make a "finish panel" of sorts against which to attach the proposed carpet.

Again, engineering/interfacing the retention mechanisms of the seat to the body (seat back AND seat bottom), AND doing it to at least factory specs, would be a major consideration.

Why not just reupholster the existing rear seat in similar fabric instead? Those extra cupholders and the rear armrest might look good, but typically are of little real use to rear seat passengers. Who'd want anybody eating and drinking back there, anyway? If you might want some rear headrests, the trim shop can put some extra reinforced foam in that area, BUT also remember that those headrests will stick up into your rear vision area!!! Find a competent trim shop and see what they might be able to do.

AND, don't forget about if the rear seat belts will work with your proposed addition!

CBODY67

Sometimes you have to accept that what you already have is the best solution, recover your rear seat and be happy with that.

Consider what CBODY67 says about the engineering of the rear seat, short of having your desired seat specifically manufactured to the correct (existing) width whilst incorporating the correct (engineered and safe) floor and seatback attachment points, don't waste your money.

I'd look at making the center wider.

The alternative would be to completely cover the area below the package tray with thin plywood and carpet the edges that show. I personally think that will look "funny" to my eye though as the seat would be too narrow for the area, but set it in there and take a look.

Back