rear shoes for 1968 polara 2" ?

Restomoder

Reaction score
So I recently installed a 8 3/4 rear end out of a 1968 polara into my sons 1956 Custom Royal
it needed new brakes so I ordered some from rockauto.
I could not find any 11 x 2 shoes so I went with some that were listed as not for heavy duty brakes but they did not list the shoe size. The shoes that came off of the car were 11 x 2 The ones I got were 11x 2.5.
Question did any c body cars come with 11 x 2 rear drums?

I posted some pictures for reference.
Also what cars did come with 11 x 2 drums because I definitely have old 11 x 2.
Thanks

PXL_20210710_202402672.jpg

PXL_20210710_202416919.jpg

PXL_20210710_202446013.jpg

PXL_20210710_202457919.jpg

If you had 11x2's the 2 1/2's definately won't work. Dang, I wish I kept my old catalog rack from the parts store.

yes i ordered everything new wheel cylinders, shoes, adjusting screws, spring kit, and e brake cable. At this point it's probably best to find a proper backing plate from that'll accommodate all this new stuff. Very frustrating. C'est la vie!

Mopars used 2" shoes on the rear for a lot of the lower performance models. craig@mobileparts, a vendor on this site, usually stocks the correct 2" shoes.

Dave

Thanks, Dave,
Yes indeed I have absolutely everything for the 11" x 2"
-- which was VERY common among Canadian Mopars.

I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Rear Brake Shoes *** and they happen to be *** O.E.M. Mopar *** at no extra charge and no cores required, such that you have No additional charges / shipping.....

I also have wheel cylinders, correct 11" x 2" brake hardware, and a whoooooole lot more , EH ?!!!
Yours, Craig....

Thanks, Dave,

I have *** N.O.S. *** Asbestos *** Rear Brake Shoes *** and they happen to be *** O.E.M. Mopar *** at no extra charge and no cores required, such that you have No additional charges / shipping.....

I also have wheel cylinders, correct 11" x 2" brake hardware, and a whoooooole lot more , EH ?!!!
Yours, Craig....
Darn so I guess all the other stuff I bought from rockauto wont work as well? Wheel cylinders, adjusting screw, spring/retainer kit, e brake cables. :(

I found a local guy that has backing plates of a dana 60 (he says they will work on the 8 3/4 with the 2.5 brake shoes. He wants $200 includes drums that have been freshly turned.

Don't know what to do just yet!

11x2 were installed on Canadian Fury and Polara with slant 6 and 318 engines.

Thanks, Dave,

Yours, Craig....

He’s got everything you need.
I just went thru the same thing with Craig buying brake shoes for the Monaco. I knew it had the optional 3” shoes in front and was ready to assume the rears were 2 1/2”. Just to verify I pulled the drums the day before I left for Carlisle. Sure enough the rears were only 2” wide. I picked up NOS asbestos shoes and a dual master cylinder at the show. He was very busy Saturday after a sluggish sales day Friday.

Back