Rear sway bar on the cop spec Furys?

weim55

Reaction score
Did the late 70s police spec Furys have a rear sway bar set up? If so would any of you have a parts illustration?

Steve weim55 Colorado

C-bodies (usually with radial tires OEM) got rear sway bars as a matter of course, not specifically the polce-spec cars, in The Formal Years. '75 or so Road Runners had a Radial Roadability Package (15x6 W23 wheels, Goodyear white letter tires, and a rear sway bar).

Should be a picture in the Chrysler parts book. www.mymopar.com

Actually I think it's more accurate to say that rear sway bars were available for the Formal police package cars, but actually are quite rare.

Because of the Torsion bar suspension, and the fact that Mopars handled better than their counterparts, Chrysler Corporation was pretty slow to the rear sway bar game.

Most C bodies did not come equipped with a rear sway bar...even the cop cars. Quite rare on a Formal. Although I have seen them on Formals in the wreckers, and only on police cars, and only a couple of times, I cannot even recall the exact year of the cars...could be that it was an offering towards the end (77 only or something).

The waters become more muddy if you try and consult the factory documentation.

None of my FSMs indicate it was available for C bodies...so maybe its only something that was only police order?

The cars that I saw in the wrecking yard (back in the 80s) both looked like they were constructed with the rear bars and that they were not add ons.

I don't think a sway bar was available for a C body from the factory pre-74. Never seen it in decades of C body ownership and scrap yarding. It does not appear in any of the dealer books or FSMs I have.

Anyways, the C body sway bars I saw were both like what you see below, half brackets that could be added/ stacked onto the iso clamp (note the large hole). Same style as the early B body rear sway bar offering.

5886242-73-upbbodyswaybar.jpg

The 1977 Plymouth Police Cars brochure states that rear sway bars were standard on Fury and Gran Fury, wagons excepted. They came with the Special Handling Package. Volaré had a rear sway bar only in combination with a V-8 engine.

The cars that I saw in the wrecking yard (back in the 80s) both looked like they were constructed with the rear bars and that they were not add ons.

The 1977 Sales Code for a rear sway bar was S41. Actually I find that code on several, but not all fender tags for 1975-1977 C-body police cars.

1976, ex North Carolina Highway Patrol:
76-157580-PH41U6D157580.JPG

1977, ex Royal Canadian Mounted Police
77-179599-PK41K7D179599.jpg

But this 1977 ex Colorado State Patrol doesn't have one (S41 would have been stamped between N96 and END):
77-248188-PK41T7D248188-a.jpg

Much appreciated PeugFra, I know I had seen it, but the documentation I had access to did not support it.

Back