REAR TAILGATE INSIDE WIPERS??! 1968 DODGE MONACO

406 VINTAGE FARMS

Reaction score
HI, WONDERING WHAT THE CHROME ROUND PART ON THE TAILGATE OF OUR 1968 DODGE MONACO WAS. ENDED UP BEING A FILLER HOLE FOR THE WASHER TANK FOR AN INSIDE WIPER ARMS WITH WASHER FOR THE REAR WINDOW?!? CAN ANYBODY TELL ME HOW RARE THIS IS? DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ONE? IM 56 AND NEVER SEE ONE. MIKE

68DM1- GEN (7).JPG

68DM1- GEN (8).JPG

I have one from a 68 T&C with that option with the taillights, taking to the fall fling to sell. Nice no rust will work on 67 if you change the taillights to match.
20221019_175236.jpg

Quite rare. Wonder if it fits a 66 tailgate... if so, Dan, I might be interested in the system. Do you have the dash control for it etc.?

My parents had a 73 Mercury Colony Park station wagon with a rear window washer. The window would retract and would get sprayed and rise when completed. Tank inside the tailgate.

I recently saw this option on a '69 Chrysler. That's quite a neat feature! This picture was taken when it first arrived at the junkyard, the cap was easily removed, but I couldn't figure out what it led to. Not much longer, some jagoffs smashed the window, and I was able to see it led to a tank, but couldn't see a spray nozzle, and still couldn't figure out how it worked. Thanks to a couple of the above responses, I now understand. Check out the wicked cool homemade fan it came in with, luckily it was still intact, so apparently never killed anyone.
PXL_20220811_194810247.jpg
PXL_20220811_194714758.jpg
PXL_20220811_194657321.jpg
PXL_20220811_194908746.jpg

My 68 Sport Suburban has that option unforunately the bottom of the tailgate was rusted out from it. I replaced the tailgate still have most of the parts including NOS replacement wiper blades if anyone is interested.

Wow, this is a new-to-me knowledge item! Very cool, but I can see where it would add to the rust problem a tailgate already has. Cool!

Wow, this is a new-to-me knowledge item! Very cool, but I can see where it would add to the rust problem a tailgate already has. Cool!
There would only be a rust issue if the reservoir or the hoses broke and the drains in the bottom of the tailgate were clogged with debris.

Probably not very many. If the tailgate window weatherstrip was worn, a lot of rain would get into the tailgate.

Back