Rear View Mirror 1968 T & C With Rear A/C

chaparral2f

Reaction score
First question I have are the rear view mirrors the same length for a wagon with and without rear a/c? Second question the balls in my mirror holder are worn out, can you just purchase the bar with balls that goes to the base and the mirror? Thanks Rene'

0409191603.jpg

0409191604.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "worn out"...if it's loose, you can snug it up with a couple screws on the backside.

I'm not sure about 68's but 65-66 wagons with rear air had the mirror mounted on the dash. And I agree, tighten the screws and it should solve your problem.

Not sure what you mean by "worn out"...if it's loose, you can snug it up with a couple screws on the backside.
actually i have screwed them in as far as they will go, I thought about using longer screws or silicone. I want to keep the mirror as the family I purchased the car from the father was an engineer assigned to TWA from Boeing in 1970. They moved down to St. Louis from Seattle and there is a decal on the back of the mirror so he could get into the airport without paying.

Pull the mirror pivots apart and either use a longer set screw, or maybe a small piece of tin beneath the set screw to add a bit more tension?

I thought there was a metal band on the backside? Can't you just remove that band, bend it in a bit, and put the screws back in?

Well I cut 2 pieces of fabric used for a card table and screwed inside the plate with the ball. I think it might hold, it looks like it had been worked on before

I have some mirrors available.:lol:
6C48F670-E1BF-40EF-B455-A60BE3D19D02.jpeg

Just out of curiosity are the ones for a wagon with rear a/c hang down longer than the ones that do not? I have an online parts book but I cannot find that information
No idea but I’ll have a look at my stash to see if any of mine have a mount that matches yours.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that although your fix was clever I don’t think it’s going to be very long lasting.

You might be right I have a piece of rubber bicycle tubing to try as well
That would work better fo sure. I just checked my stash and I don’t have a Mirror with a stalk that matches yours however several of them have the same base.

Next time out yarding I can grab a base and rod for you although it will probably be pitted like your original rod appears to be. You can swap your original mirror onto it by removing an allen bolt.

Back