rear wheel well moldings

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty locating rear wheel well moldings for my 70 Polara vert, I do however have a nice pair of 71 Monaco wheel well moldings.
Ayilar replied to my WANTED post saying they will be hard to find
Has anyone attempted to modify similar wheel well moldings in order to get them to fit.
Polara and Monaco front wwms are the same or are so close I cannot see the difference.
Rear ones are close but the Monaco ones have more arc to them to the rear fender.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks PT

Main issue is whether the car was built to Canadian or USA specs, as there were some side trim differences, I believe.

If I cannot find Polara moldings I may make a wooden jig with the contour of the Polara quarter panel and see if the Monaco moldings can be modified. As mentioned in my opening, the arc of the molding I refer to is the last quarter of the molding on the quarter panel. The last quarter on the Polara QP is flatter than the Monaco QP which must have a rounder profile.

Main issue is whether the car was built to Canadian or USA specs, as there were some side trim differences, I believe.
So you are telling me that Polaras / Monacos had different quarter panels based on whether they were from Canada or the US ?

Not different sheet metal, just different moldings. Look in the Library at www.hamtramck-historical.com for the order guides or the Chrysler USA parts book body illustrations at www.mymopar.com (free download) to see what the USA moldings were. I somewhat really doubt that Chrysler put different sheet metal on the Polaras and Monacos. Not enough sales volume to justify that, typically, BUT the contours of the moldings (which screw onto the sheet metal) could be different and easy to change, if needed.

For example, the rocker panel moldings on the USA '67 Newport and USA '67 New Yorker look to be different, with a different part number. But upon examination of a '67 NY in the salvage yard, both moldings were the same stamping. The difference? The Newport item has the black satin paint appolied in the recesses of the molding, whereas the NY item has the black satin paint applied to the raised areas of the molding. A different look, but the same stamping. An interesting discovery.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Not different sheet metal, just different moldings. Look in the Library at www.hamtramck-historical.com for the order guides or the Chrysler USA parts book body illustrations at www.mymopar.com (free download) to see what the USA moldings were. I somewhat really doubt that Chrysler put different sheet metal on the Polaras and Monacos. Not enough sales volume to justify that, typically, BUT the contours of the moldings (which screw onto the sheet metal) could be different and easy to change, if needed.

For example, the rocker panel moldings on the USA '67 Newport and USA '67 New Yorker look to be different, with a different part number. But upon examination of a '67 NY in the salvage yard, both moldings were the same stamping. The difference? The Newport item has the black satin paint appolied in the recesses of the molding, whereas the NY item has the black satin paint applied to the raised areas of the molding. A different look, but the same stamping. An interesting discovery.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Thanks for the info, the moldings are a bit different, close but no cigar, final sections or last quarter of them have different final arcs, good thing I got the Monaco moldings for a song, if it looks like what I have in mind won't work I won't do it. It will have to wait, busy McGivering our MF tractor with a belly shield to stop the hay from plugging the drive shaft.

Back