Rebuilt fuel pump

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
Hi, I had my Airtex fuel pump rebuilt by "Then and Now" in Mass, turn around time was 1 week and price was $109.00 plus shipping. They informed me that this model pump was made 1966-1975.

DSC06705.JPG

These were a really good pump in their day. Hopefully the rebuilder was able to source a diaphragm that is resistant to blended fuels. That was the main issue causing these pumps to fail. Ethanol blended fuel eats up the internal rubber parts in the pump.

Dave

From another forum, I believe that is the rebuilder that also does lots of "antique" fuel pumps, using the ethanol-resistant diaphram material. KEY thing is to not let the diaphram dry out during times of vehicle non-use. It is claimed that once that happens, even with the e-resistant diaphram material, the diaphram will get brittle and later fail. Just relaying the information from the other forum's thread on rebuilding fuel pumps.

CBODY67

From another forum, I believe that is the rebuilder that also does lots of "antique" fuel pumps, using the ethanol-resistant diaphram material. KEY thing is to not let the diaphram dry out during times of vehicle non-use. It is claimed that once that happens, even with the e-resistant diaphram material, the diaphram will get brittle and later fail. Just relaying the information from the other forum's thread on rebuilding fuel pumps.

CBODY67
I firmly believe that if you drive them a lot ethanol is not as big a deal as some of these snake oil vendors would have you believe. Yes I had jelly in my float bowls. It was not causing a blatant problem. Carburetor had been together for 10 years. I changed the engine and needed to do a idle circuit restriction and a main jet change, that's when I discovered the jelly.

One variable is that the amount of ethanol is usually "maxed" in the pump markings, yet we never really know if it is really that much. As in " . . . Up to 10%", for example. When we had the prior blends, with the other oxygenate, ethanol was right at 5%, as they both could total 10% together.

It appears that if the fuel keeps moving, then phase separation is minimized. Although the rubber fuel lines will still tend to disintegrate from the inside out. Yet all rubber fuel lines since about 1992 have been resistant to the new fuel blends (i.e., oxygenated fuels).

Enjoy!
CBODY67 . . .

Back