Recoloring vinyl roof

bollotti

Reaction score
anyone had success recoloring a vinyl roof? If so what products did you use?

I have seen duplicolor advertised, but mostly seem to be used on internal vinyl.

Thanks

I replaced mine I believe it was around $300-$400

20160611_190935.jpg

There used to be "kits" to recolor vinyl interiors. It was OBVIOUS what had been done. Plus it had a different feel! GM was famous for "Paint to Match" instrument panel pads, in the '70s and later. Basically acrylic lacquer with a flex agent. Cracked a few years later whenever it flexed. Not unlike what later went on the flexible bumper covers/fascias.

BEST to get the top replaced. It probably has some un-seen metal issues under it anyway, which will need to be fixed sooner or later. Better sooner, typically.

The issue would be to get the existing cover cleaned down in the texture, good enough for new colors/dyes to stick better. Even so, the sheen will be "off" even if the color is accurate. Even if done "by the book", won't look like the factory one would, no matter what. Find a trim shop that can pull the top off, a body shop to repair and repaint the metal areas, then have the trim shop put the new top fabric on the car (plus any related moldings and such).

CBODY67

If it were me, I'd try some SEM colorcoat. You'll to prepare the surface exactly like they say. Scrub the bejesus out of it with their SEM soap, wipe with their prep, and spray their adhesion promoter on it first.

c137038a-2725-40cf-b8de-7d670f45138c_1.5ca287057664b010a5808677cf4432b9.jpg

The worst that can happen is you aren't happy and you have to replace it anyway.

If it were me, I'd try some SEM colorcoat. You'll to prepare the surface exactly like they say. Scrub the bejesus out of it with their SEM soap, wipe with their prep, and spray their adhesion promoter on it first.

View attachment 255490

The worst that can happen is you aren't happy and you have to replace it anyway.

That is my thoughts. If it turns out sh*te, i can bite the bullet and replace the vinyl.

Great video, although the flatulence of the presenter is a little disconcerting.

I used SEM vinyl color coat for a convertible top.I was happy with the results. Some touch-up was required and minor fading over 10 years. Not perfect but ok for a driver.

Back